Leading DNS experts say they've found a secret dedicated link between Trump and a giant Russian bank

Wait, this exists?!

Sign me up!

3 Likes

meh. no agenda there. they just use the map that is standard in the USA, the same one everyone uses. I’ve never seen a different one used on any US news show or US school ever.

even the new award winning japanese map has it’s issues, those oceans and spatial relationships are WAY off even though the land mass sizes are more proportional. There isn’t a single way of representing the surface of an irregular elliptical spheroid on a flat map that doesn’t have its issues, imho.

if anything was intentional the USA would use a map that makes russia look smaller, not larger, but no one even mentally equates land mass size to more/less power anymore.

Global understanding is always a good thing. Many conflicts would be avoided by better understanding each other.

1 Like

On this very BB, a few months ago, I had someone ask me why a big country like Australia would be worried about a small island nation like Indonesia.

(note: the Indonesian military, in personnel terms, is about eight times the size of their Australian counterpart)

3 Likes

were you looking at the first, second, or third log release? The first one was the smallest of the three, but they keep releasing larger sets when demanded to by the press.

no. I explained why it was so “interesting” that they were doing that search, it is explained in the article and is not as “interesting” as you implied. it is rather ho hum.

yes. the article lists the researchers who analyzed the data.

of course, whether or not this is worth looking into further or not won’t be determined by any of those things, so i’m not sure the point of pulling those threads.

2 Likes

okay, fair enough, I shouldn’t have said no one. :slight_smile:

my point was thinking the use of this map is done conspiratorially by “these types of shows” is disregarding that this is the standard map that every US show, school, whatever typically uses, and isn’t some conspiratorial plot on the part of the show itself.

2 Likes

We already have one of those … it’s called a sphere.

The issue is that there is no way to translate a 3D sphere onto a 2D sheet while retaining all spatial and geographical relationships. You always have to sacrifice something, and the only question is which bit(s) of inaccuracy you’re prepared to accept.

4 Likes

Yes, you’re very clever.

5 Likes

The cold war document “Soviet Military Power: An Assessment of the Threat” does not use the Mercator Projection.

It’s still paranoid.

http://edocs.nps.edu/2014/May/SovietMilPower1988.pdf

I’m not enough of a map nerd to recognize the projection.

4 Likes

Wrong thread! :wink:

4 Likes

To be fair, for always. It’s history is pretty tarnished. COINTELPRO, the assasination of Fred Hampton, not to mention it’s former leader, J. Edgar Hoover, who had some questionable motives on his surveillance in the 1960s… Let’s not even get into it’s earlier history.

3 Likes

I was actually thinking of that strip :smile:

1 Like

We’re doing that now. We have been for quite a while, actually. We fund them and seek to moderate them via private conversations, rather than public diplomacy. Whether that actually has done any good (what do you think the Yemeni population, on the brink of starvation would say?) is another question entirely.

For the record, I’m all for dropping our close ties with the Saudis, but I also know that they’d just go to another power in the world. Which is likely why we keep them so close. We dont’ want them aligning with Russia or the Chinese. But in doing so, we are managing to prop up their attempt to create a hegemony in the heterogeneous Islamic world.

3 Likes

11 Likes

So “these shows” aren’t using Mercator maps “to make Russia look scarily bigger than it really is.”? My tinfoil hat must need adjusting…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I said “meh” to the first point and didn’t think it was intentional, but I agreed with the second point. Didn’t imply anything about intelligence. Sorry if that is how it came across. :couple_with_heart: words eh? :sunflower:

2 Likes

sending good wishes for whatever you are dealing with! :sunflower::blossom::sunflower:

5 Likes

Can we go back to the days where people didn’t just scream “Cyber” at the drop of a hat, and techies could sort this stuff out in peace? I don’t know, maybe we’re just hitting a bump in the whole end user education curve.

I’m just going to put this here:

And walk away slowly.

6 Likes

I got the impression on first viewing that article, that the author might have felt the same.

4 Likes

Fucking GoDaddy? Of course.

8 Likes

The Allies were engaged in a direct military conflict with the Axis. The US and Russia are not in a military conflict (currently). So I think it’s okay to criticize the Russians using their military’s cyber-warfare division to target the US, given that that kind of belligerence doesn’t promote peaceful relations but is the kind of attack that’s likely to escalate mutual hostilities. The US/NATO aren’t pure innocents, and it’s fine to criticize them as well, but that doesn’t excuse the Kremlin’s attacks.

2 Likes