Leading Republicans send letters in support of Dennis Hastert, pedophile

Remembering Reagan
http://crooksandliars.com/files/imagecache/node_primary/primary_image/15/09/remembering_reagan.png

And now, Remembering Hastert.

37 Likes

Before they get caught, it seems.

3 Likes

When I was fresh out of high school, I used to work as a filing clerk at the Supreme Court of NSW. The job was to deliver the court files to the judges for whatever cases they were hearing that day.

It was a braindead monkey job; once you’d been at it for a while, you could easily get your week’s work done in two or three days. But if you were seen overtly hanging around doing nothing you’d get in trouble, so I used to kill time in the basement reading old court transcripts.

Court cases usually don’t go in a simple linear fashion from trial to judgement. Instead, a judge will hear a bunch of cases, think about them for a while, then have a “judgement day” when they hand down their decisions on all of their pending cases.

I remember reading a pair of judgements, handed down by the same judge on the same day. The first was for a bloke who’d been convicted of a string of sex offences against 7-12 year old girls.

The judgement went on at great length about how the offender was a respected figure in the community, a successful stockbroker who spent his spare time volunteering at the local childcare centre. The judge argued that the damage to his reputation was almost sufficient punishment in itself. In the end, he sentenced him to 6 months minimum, 18 months maximum, with 4 months already served on remand.

The other case that he dealt with was a guy convicted of importing hashish. He got 22 years.

Same judge, same day. TANJ.

39 Likes

He fears God, Dennis Hastert has never raped God, he is just not going to do that. He doesn’t fear children however.

As a good republican Dennis Hastert will rape anything he does not fear - children, the environment - you name it. He is a good god fearing republican, and a rapist, but that’s an oxymoron.

17 Likes

Chelsea Manning got 35 years for making the government look bad and revealing that US soldiers committed murderous war crimes. Those people who actually committed the war crimes got nothing, except possibly commendations for service.

35 Likes

Nobody’ll primary Tommy D.
But as to sitting senators, I question whether defending a fellow republican could ever get anyone in trouble, at least publicly.
Go figure.

2 Likes

He pleaded guilty in October to one count of illegally structuring bank withdrawals to avoid reporting requirements,

Seriously, screw that shit. The government has absolutely zero business with how I deposit and withdraw money from my bank account. Can’t convict someone of a real crime?? Then he goes free.

If I’m ever selected for jury duty where the “crime” is taking cash out of a bank account, I’m the prosecutor’s bad dream. I will lie through my teeth to get selected, then I will hold out to nullify.

I don’t care if the accused used the cash to feed crack cocaine to baby harp seals while undressing Cub Scouts at knifepoint while aiming a plane at the new World Trade Center. You want a conviction? Make a case for one of those real, harm-inducing crimes.

6 Likes

Any crime is OK if one is christian as well, is my understanding.

3 Likes

To be clear, the victims in this case were 17 year old high school wrestlers. Underage, absolutely, and legally pedophilia, and Hastert is a morally corrupt horrible human being, but it’s always weird to see articles describing his victims as ‘children’ or ‘little boys’.

3 Likes

Or “finds” Christianity between capture and sentencing.

3 Likes

It’s the same solution that finally got Al Capone behind bars: find SOMETHING that can be proven in court, even if it’s “only” tax evasion.

5 Likes

Dennis Hastert is a deplorable rapist, and the Republicans defending him are deplorable hypocrites. But there’s no evidence (yet) to suggest Dennis Hastert is a pedophile.

3 Likes

But he’s a Christian so it’s okay.

1 Like

5 Likes

Yes, and the judge has to consider evidence of the defendant’s other offense behavior and history before sentencing. That’s why the letters were provided too.

Next time you withdraw money from the bank, take a look at the biggest words printed on the front. Hint: They’re not “Lolipop Jones.”

5 Likes

Unless you consider that the brain’s cognitive abilities don’t reach maturity until about age 25. That’s why teenagers do stupid crap, and why they’re easy cannon fodder for the military.

7 Likes

So you advocate raising the age of consent to 25? No? So what’s your point?

1 Like

I invite anyone to call a 17 year old wrestler a “little boy” and see if they say “well, true, my brain won’t reach maturity for eight years, so I guess I’m still just a child.”

They’re children unless they’re accused of a crime (and don’t have a sufficiently strong privilege bubble), at which point they’re suddenly mature enough to be tried as an adult and put in prisons with adults.

11 Likes