Leaked Sonic the Hedgehog movie design looks like a dollar-store cereal mascot

He’s quoted as saying he did it for his kids who were fans of the game.

4 Likes

For my Children can be used to justify all kinds of…decisions.

3 Likes

IIRC, he was dying of cancer and his children were big fans of the franchise.

7 Likes

it made me think of dollar-store cereal brands

Ouch, but so accurate.

Oh, but you’re forgetting about T…, er about S… OK, no, you’re right, they’re all terrible.

I was just looking at lists of movies based on video games to see if I was forgetting any hidden gems, but even the “10 best movies based on video games” lists are full of qualifiers like, “It’s not as bad as you’d think” and “It’s not up to X quality, but…” The best anyone can say about any of these movies is, “Yeah, they’re bad, but these few are still kind of fun trash, if you’re into that.”

I always think of Michael Caine and that Jaws movie he was in.
“Somebody said, ‘Have you ever seen Jaws 4?’ I said, ‘No. But I’ve seen the house it bought for my mum. It’s fantastic!’” Sometimes you just need the cash.

5 Likes

He did it because he knew his kids were into it. (True story.) He was very ill during filming and died soon afterward.

What a mensch.

7 Likes

Uwe Boll made films that were mostly based on video games, as part of some tax write-off scheme. To call them bad films is an insult to bad films.

6 Likes

I have so many fond memories of playing Sonic 1-3. Straightforward side scrolling dumb fun with cute graphics. I wish this wasn’t a thing.

4 Likes

There’s an interview I read with David Cross, asking him about the multi-film contract he signed for multiple Chipmunk movies, and if he was afraid of losing his “indie cred”. He said something to the effect of, “Well, you see, I tried to buy a house recently, and to my shock, it turns out they won’t let you buy a house with indie cred. You actually have to have money! So I might not have as much indie cred as I used to, but now I have a house, and it’s really nice.”

8 Likes

That Sonic: ew.

(And I am no fan of the franchise, having only played ten minutes last year after finding a PS3 disc with the game on it at a pawn shop for $3, but the character deserves better than that.)

Some people won’t, but I don’t see how that justifies this.

3 Likes

I am probably getting the details wrong, but R. Lee Ermey (the drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket, for those who don’t know) was talking about the kiss scene in Saving Silverman. Said something like, “People ask me, ‘Hey Gunny, how could you kiss a guy in Saving Silverman?’ And I tell them, ‘They paid me $15,000 for one little kiss. And if I had to kiss someone, at least it was with someone cute and cuddly like Jack Black.’”

5 Likes

I was really impressed when Goro turned up as an actual anamatronic. It wasn’t great, but I liked the effort.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Just like calling Uwe Boll a bad filmmaker is an insult to bad filmmakers. (And the dude is just a major asshole to boot.)

7 Likes

Some pretty strange things have been conceived in the realm of video game films

5 Likes

All the pieces are finally falling in to place!

5 Likes

Does a bootleg HK Streetfighter 2 movie count?

…with a bit where they go inside super mario land and make AIDS jokes for good measure: (CW: pretty much every kind of un-pc gag)

BONUS LEVEL: the Jackie Chan “City Hunter” SF2 scene

1 Like

Surprised only one person mentioned the Silent Hill movie. Plot wise it’s a mess, performances aren’t stellar, but it still has a great look and atmosphere that matched the first 2 games it was aping. So much so the later games would ape it. The sequel is only good for laughing at, despite some fun visual homage to Silent Hill 3.

1 Like

Furthermore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II:_The_Animated_Movie incongrously directed by the director of Night on the Galactic Railroad is definitely watchable if you like SF2 and incredibly high end 80’s animated fight scenes…

I could go on, long story short you mean hollywood has never made a watchable movie based on a video game because they generally don’t make watchable movies of things

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes