Learn how to move one eye without moving the other

My wife says I can’t wink. I disagree, while trying my best to wink seductively. That causes her to laugh.

Then I raise one eyebrow, which she can’t do. That annoys her. Revenge complete.

6 Likes

And you over there too.

2 Likes

A good clean fun way of annoying your mother.

3 Likes

As someone who has a permanent rapid saccade movement I found his description of the blur amusing. I suppose if you are dealing with an angle of more than 45 degrees it would be difficult at best and probably nauseating for many. I’d say mine is typically around 15-20 degrees of movement, and if I try it can probably go beyond 45. But how my brain handles it is different. In the controlled state my focal point or cone is steady and at the edges of my vision exists a shimmer. However that steady is really more like a series of still shots, anything that exceeds the frequency of the movement becomes hyper noticeable…ie LED Christmas lights. At long distances my brain allows random data to exist even if it is unable to compensate for it. A tow truck or bus that is more than a half mile away will appear to have a flashing light shift in space, 4’ off in space to the left, then 5’ to the right, now on center, back 3’ to the right and so on.

If I relax my eyes they drift apart and I see double but the movement subsides. I can enter an uncontrolled state where my brain doesn’t compensate for the movement and everything moves. He is correct, during the movement it is a blur, but at the end I get a clear still frame picture to work with. The blur does provide me with plenty of data to work with even if the clarity is lacking. If anyone is wondering my vision is 20/30 and 20/40.

Plus side, the running through the woods scene in Blair Witch was a breeze…cons, flourescent tubes that flicker cause me to get vertigo and loss of balance.

3 Likes

Same, better, or worse?

3 Likes

Behold … Flacco

This post reminded me that since I was a child I could wiggle my eyes rapidly side to side, at will. Hadn’t tried it in decades but yeah, still got it. Looked it up, it’s voluntary nystagmus. Used to freak out my friends…

3 Likes

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKaWmt4bo8]

And my favorite comment of all time:

Dan Francis: One eye diggin' taters and the other a huntin' squirrels.

i don’t have as good a description of my vision. i don’t have the situation with far objects, but i can see some flourescents and some halogens flicker, especially when i move my head side to side.

big flatpanel tvs used to be nothing but rainbows. somehow the technology has gotten better so that’s (mostly) gone away.

i do get nausea when playing fps games at low… fps. mostly i avoid shooters and the like cause it’s got to be high smooth frame rates or i feel like i can sense every jitter.

1 Like

Neither you nor your partially superimposed twin can make me learn this …

1 Like

If those big flat pannels were DLP, then you’re not alone, they actually did look like rainbows if viewed from a moving detector.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure mines like this on good days:

And like this on bad ones:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.