Legendary rockstar Prince has passed away

pop life

Minnesota Twins’ stadium presently:

14 Likes

Appropriately grey day in Minneapolis today.

5 Likes

For those without a subscription to Tidal, Current is streaming an all-Prince set. It’s the only way to listen to Prince if you don’t have his CDs, unfortunately.

4 Likes

I think one of the hallmarks of a truly talented performer/musician/composer/etc. is that even those who aren’t into said artist’s style can still see pretty clearly that they’re talented.

I was never into Prince’s music of the genres that he worked in, but even so it was fucking obvious that he was phenomenally talented!

5 Likes

Heh. I have his CDs.

Just yesterday I had a little public sing of Darling Nikki; having met someone named Nikita. It just kind of quietly popped out.

3 Likes

I put up a link to PopLife, I’ll prob do some more.

if any of you have files on your computer, use www.clyp.it to commiserate

https://clyp.it/x51kb5ut Starfish and coffee

oh, there’s a ton already up

the most beautiful girl in the world
https://clyp.it/0ovz2edv

If I was your girlfriend
https://clyp.it/2e2dnsg5

sometimes it snows in April
https://clyp.it/2sofyu14

2 Likes

his singing/performing/production talent and larger-than-life persona tended to overshadow that he was one of the worlds top guitarists. check out the line-up on this stage and how he blows them all out of the water

11 Likes

“Life is just a party, and parties aren’t meant to last.” :frowning:
RIP

7 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing. I think Kevin Smith mentions in his speech (see above) that there are dozens of Prince songs, fully recorded and with full-blown music videos, that have never been released - not to mention the documentary that Smith himself made about Prince.

(cue the obligatory “Paint a Vulgar Picture” lyrics…)

2 Likes

Who has a subscription to Tidal, and more importantly, why?

4 Likes

Dearly beloved, We are gathered here today to get through this thing called life.

Electric word, life. It means forever and that’s a mighty long time. But I’m here to tell you there’s something else- The after world. A world of never ending happiness. You can always see the sun, day or night.

So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills- You know the one, Dr. Everything’ll Be Alright- Instead of asking him how much of your time is left, ask him how much of your mind, baby. 'Cause in this life things are much harder than in the after world. In this life you’re on your own. And if the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor…

THE most underrated musical genius of our time. Maybe it was hard for people to see past the assless chaps, but when you do…

According to some folks, there are thousands of songs and hundreds of videos. If there’s one good thing to come out of this, it’s that we’ll probably see a new Prince album every year or two for the next couple decades.

12 Likes

and there are so many where the only artist performing is Prince. He played everything. Very well indeed.

3 Likes

A genius line. I can’t do anything to it that it isn’t doing to itself.

2 Likes

Since deleted, apparently.

10 Likes

In all honesty Tom Petty, Steve Winwood and Jeff Lynne are not really known for their talented guitar playing.

OTOH Prince’s guitar work is legendary.

6 Likes

ya, that’s just the only thing I’ve ever seen where he went cutting head-to-head. I wish we had him against more of a challenge. we never will, unfortunately.

2 Likes

It may be hard to find out, online. In 2007 he was suing YouTube, eBay and others for copyright infringement. Thanks to these battles, by 2010 he decided that his new music would be available on CD only and not online.

At the time he also declared that “The internet’s completely over”, and that “The internet’s like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can’t be good for you.”

No word on whether anyone explained to him that CDs stored his music digitally as “just numbers.”

7 Likes

Thank you for posting this clip. His extraordinary guitar playing and his celebration of female musicians were just two of the many reasons why I found Prince a compelling artist.

I’m crushed.:cry:

6 Likes

What the actual funk.

2 Likes

Yeah, that clip is a little unfair. It’s like comparing four different kinds of sleeping tablets with Methamphetamine.

11 Likes