LEGO Star Wars: Obi-wan's Tatooine hideout

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/lego-star-wars-obi-wans-tat.html

3 Likes

I don’t know anyone named Obi-Wan, but old Ben lives out beyond the Dune Sea.

11 Likes

That was definitely a swingin’ bachelor’s pad.

5 Likes

That’s not his droid then, dude swears he never owned one.

4 Likes

He’s definitely got the Hefner-robe-look going on.

hefner-pose

4 Likes

That was such a weird line thinking back. Like, if someone said, “I’m looking for Steve Floffessburger,” and you knew there was an old hermit named Dave Floffessburger, maybe you’d think of them. But wouldn’t you say, “Well, there’s someone with the same last name around here,” rather than, “Maybe when they say Steve they mean Dave.”

4 Likes

If that Obi-Wan prequel series gets the green light I’m pretty sure we’ll get a multi-episode plot arc just to explain how he came by the alias “Ben.”

3 Likes

“You will stay the night.”
*jedi wave

3 Likes

I don’t think it was intentional to paint owen as an asshole, but Owen did seem to have a “I bought it fair and square” kind of attitude. As soon as R2 said he had an owner, Owen told luke to wipe it’s memory. Could also explain why the name variance was used to claim the Droid wasn’t Kenobi’s… Dismissive.

2 Likes

Well… Obi-Wan isn’t an informal English name, as Ben, Luke, and Owen are. It’s either “foreign” or formal (as Beru must be one or the other names). And it’s hard to say if Kenobi is common or uncommon (as Floffessburger would be uncommon in my part of the world, but perhaps quite common elsewhere.)

Also, Old Ben is a hermit, which tends to imply poverty. An R2 droid bought for the harvest is possibly an expensive piece of equipment (Uncle Owen only buys two droids, for example, instead of several). It’s very reasonable for Luke to not make an immediate connection between Ben and Obi-Wan, because why would a crazy old wizard living in poverty own an expensive droid that requires maintenance? Presumably he’s met Ben, and presumably he knows that he doesn’t own a droid.

So it could be more like, “This $300K tractor is licensed to someone named Cartwright Morris. Is there a chance that could be old Art Morris, who isn’t a farmer but lives near a lot of farms?” That’s more reasonable.

1 Like

I think he was trying out several names when hiding like Steven or Larry.
Obi Wan Steven Ben Larry Kenobi.

3 Likes

“Hey gurl, are you part tauntaun? Because I’d really like to spend the night up inside you.”

6 Likes

ezgif-2-8706c849a9b4

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.