Watch: re-edit of the original Star Wars making Obi-Wan Kenobi the main character of the film

Originally published at: Watch: re-edit of the original Star Wars making Obi-Wan Kenobi the main character of the film | Boing Boing

Watch: re-edit of the original Star Wars making Obi-Wan Kenobi the main character of the film

Wait, What? He wasn’t…

9 Likes

No, it was the story of MSE-6 Mouse Droid and its terrifying encounter with a Wookie.

11 Likes

Xt8eMH

8 Likes

im facebook friends with John so this may be biased, but this edit is lovely. I watched it again over the weekend in prep for Obiwan and it indeed does work perfectly.

If 90 mins is too much for your tastes, I can recommend this lovely little 39 second spot of being what the kids call “an ObiWan thirst trap”

4 Likes

Obi-Wan was such an asshole.

• Didn’t put Anakin out of his misery or get him medical attention on Mustafar.
  • Lied about who Luke’s dad was. Lied about Anakin wanting Luke to have the lightsaber Obi-Wan stole. Lied about everything.
  • Allowed Luke to fall in love with Leia instead of giving a brother a heads up.
  • Would it be so hard to tell Luke what Yoda looked like so Luke wouldn’t look like an ass when he showed up on Dagobah?
  • Pretended not to recognize R2-D2 after seeing him for the first time in 19 years. They were war buddies for a whole decade, man. That’s just cold.
  • Supported slavery. I mean, that’s a biggie.
15 Likes

Obi had a rusty halo, for sure.

6 Likes

You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

10 Likes

From a certain point of view he isn’t a massive dick.

12 Likes

coca cola coke GIF by The Coca-Cola Company

7 Likes

Happy Coke Zero GIF by Coca-Cola

4 Likes

he was always MY main character. <3

1 Like

The whole slavery thing in the prequels was weird. There was no reference to slavery in the original trilogy – I have no idea why Lucas decided to introduce it as it had no bearing on the plot.

But Yoda also was kind of an asshole too. Like Obi-Wan, he purposely kept Luke in the dark about his family and when Luke arrived at Dagoba took a perverse delight in Luke not recognizing who he was even though he had to know why he was there.

3 Likes

Especially since a minor rewrite could have used it to provide a believable reason for Anakin to abandon the Jedi.

“How can you all be OK with using an army comprised of slaves to fight your war against the separatists? I was born into slavery and I’ll have no part in this!”

8 Likes

No? Wasn’t this in like the first 10 minutes of the original film?

I mean, the droids had restraining bolts installed specifically to prevent them from doing what they wanted. They clearly had free will they they were not allowed to exercise. It wasn’t until Solo that they decided to revisit that thorny issue.

8 Likes

That’s a good point. The keeping of intelligent robots as property is a form of slavery, even if it is one that many SF works (including Star Wars) glosses over.

However, the prequels introduced human slavery, which is messed up on several levels, not the least that it implies that enslaved humans like Anakin’s mother must have been cheaper than droids.

2 Likes

What did they used to call this version of Leia before officially changing it to “The Huttslayer?”

6 Likes

Another good point. Although Jabba was a mob boss, although tolerated by the Empire, so it isn’t clear if the stuff he did (which included feeding people to the Rancor besides chaining up Leia) was actually legal or just that nobody was going to tell Jabba to stop.

4 Likes

It was never really clear what she was doing in the Jabba situation. Chained and wearing skimpy clothes… but was she a slave, or a prisoner ? Was there something sexual about her captivity? Did Jabba assault her or was he just happy to have this trophy at the end of his chain?

Maybe Luke didn’t directly say “OMG the Empire has slaves”, but you go into the movies knowing that the Empire isn’t all unicorns and rainbows.

Also, if you can’t trust the toy labels on the original Kenner action figures then what can you trust?

3 Likes