Lettuce tell you this smart tip for a better burger

Yeah, you want to think about what’s in your burger.

news-graphics-2007-_647687a

6 Likes

I just use old, stale, dried up buns. The burgers taste kinda shitty, but at least they’re not soggy!

“mmmm. . . crunchy!”

2 Likes

Come to Wisconsin, we appreciate a wet burger:

solly's burger

6 Likes

I worked at Wendy’s for two summers sometime back in the last century, and in my heart of hearts I am still convinced that they make burgers the right way. Mayo to seal the bun, mustard applied directly to the meat, and the other toppings and condiments between. The only thing that in my opinion they get wrong (and it’s sort of understandable given the assembly line process they use) is putting the mustard on top of the cheese in a cheeseburger. I think it’d be better on the other side of the patty in that situation.

4 Likes

What’s the problem with a soggy bun? It’s not like a hamburger is haute cuisine.

1 Like

Mostly correct.

It’s cuisine vérité.

3 Likes

One of the most surprising (to this carnivore, anyway) developments for our fam this year is that we have all agreed that, finally, Beyond Burgers are “good enough” that we no longer need to buy/make burgers. add some Worcestershire sauce as they cook, some yummy cheese, and they’re delicious.

They are, however, every bit as greasy as real burgers, so, rest on a plate for 5-10 minutes, followed by placement on a bed of lettuce is just as important as it is for real meat burgers.

If you don’t do lettuce, you can try stacking your raw/grilled onions, pickles, whatever on the bottom as well. These have their own moisture so it won’t be as much of a barrier, but it might last just long enough to survive the meal without soggage.

9 Likes

“Milwaukee: Solly’s Grille Serves Butter…Oh, and Burgers, Too”

10 Likes

Rest your meat, people! Burgers only need a few minutes. It’s not like a 14 lb brisket that needs to rest 1-2 hours!

3 Likes

Or say goodbye to the bun altogether.

1 Like

did someone say burger?

1 Like

Alton Brown suggests a very thin layer of mayonnaise on the bottom bun and nothing else. The burger juice can’t get through the mayo and the mayo doesn’t soak into the bun.

3 Likes

The perfect meat to bun to condiment ratio

1 Like

What kind of savage puts condiments on lettuce?

1 Like

I think there is some difference between buns where the cheapest ones basically melt. A buck more for the store brand “gourmet” buns may be all that’s necessary (and tastier).

2 Likes

LadyGoose is a Cook’s Illustrated enthusiast and she and I ground up and made these a few years ago. They were fucking amazing. It was the closest I came to making myself actually sick from over-consuming edibles since college…

1 Like

i agree. they are so killer, it’s all i can do not to eat them by the pound(s).

1 Like

You take that back!

Butter your buns! (but you’ll most likely slide off your chair).

2 Likes

Lettuce on burgers can make for a slippy situation. if you must include lettuce, shed it first.

1 Like