The best burger and fries in Los Angeles come from a food truck

Originally published at: The best burger and fries in Los Angeles come from a food truck | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Also, the best place to surf in Los Angeles is in the ocean.

4 Likes

The best burger in my town comes from a gas station/convenience store.

5 Likes

You might enjoy The Burger Show

Or you might like their Burger Scholar series too

6 Likes

My secret is a burger made from beef/lamb/pork ground 1/3 equal parts, then I embed the cheese in the middle. My Dear Wife makes a damn fine herb focaccia bread bun too.

12 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to try it. BTW, the BEST fat for potatoes or just about anything is goose fat. And goose is delicious.

7 Likes

Well that looks delicious.

7 Likes

I’ve backed away from cheese on my burgers - almost always is overdone as in the photos here. Lettuce, tomato, some red onion, dab of mayo, mustard and ketchup on toasted bun. Perfect.

Convince me otherwise.

3 Likes

Flat top burgers are the best burgers. These look really good.
We have a place here in San Diego (ahoy @Papasan ) called The Friendly that makes a killer one, too.
There was a time where everyone was like “you have to grill a burger for it to be good”. No. Same with steaks. I do like a steak over a very hot mesquite fire, but I prefer doing them in my cast iron skillet. Outside, tho.

5 Likes

Thanks. Added to my list for my next visit.

4 Likes

I’m not picky as i like any cheese with my burgers but i have also had plenty of excellent ones that didn’t have one either so it usually comes down to if i’m in the mood for cheese or not. With condiments the one i dislike is mayo, ketchup i’m neutral on but i love mustard.

2 Likes

Just had 7 heart attacks from even looking at that food

4 Likes

Hodad’s in Ocean Beach [5010 Newport Ave, San Diego, CA 92107], be prepared for a line of no fewer than 30 out the door. Delish greasy yumminess, not flat belly food.

1 Like

Oh, yea we’ve been there many times. I think Friendly is better, but Hodads makes a great burger.
Once they hit the tourist radar (which was a long time ago) that line became insane. Even more so after Guy Fieri went. I also really like Rocky’s in Crown Point.
Same thing happened at Blue Water over on India Street. We went last night after my wife picked me up at Lindbergh and the line was out the door… Some of the best fish in the city, tho.

3 Likes

Circa 1985, Rocky’s lunch special was $4.99, huge burger & fries, 16 oz of beer. Couldn’t beat it with a stick. We’re packing up to house sit in UTC for family, we will be out and about San Diego for a whole month, really looking forward to some SD time.

3 Likes

As long as we are discussing condiments [because @Papasan’s sounds like a damn fine starting point], here’s mine:
bottom bun, pickles, ketchup, patty, onion, cheese [optional], chili, mayo, top bun.
I like the pickles/ketchup combo, as well as the chili/mayo combo.
I don’t care for lettuce or tomatoes on sandwiches.

ETA: Oh, and the bun must be toasted!

3 Likes

I prefer caramelized onions over regular ones if i can get them, lettuce i do like the crunch and freshness they provide but i wouldn’t say its required for me to enjoy a good burger. And i like spice so some kind of hot chilies/peppers are desirable but not a lot of places have them and pickled jalapenos that most places have aren’t really all that spicy in my experience.

3 Likes

I’ll always do pickles if available.

Yes - I like to combine them with some sautéed mushrooms on a burger. But if no caramelized available, then I like red onions over white. Shallots in place of onions are a fave too but getting too fancy.

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of burgers {& most other food]… they are endlessly customizable.
I hadn’t considered caramelized onions, because I’m too lazy/pressed for time to make them.
Pico de Gallo works well for the spice aspect & adds crunch… I’ll dump some of that on there in lieu of onions.

That sounds good.
This hypothetical hamburger sounds like it needs another one of @Papasan’s patties on there, at this point.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t want to wind up like this for real…

sanford and son GIF

2 Likes