The best burger and fries in Los Angeles come from a food truck

I haven’t bought a burger in a long time but I used to like one with the lot (also the Dalai Lama’s favourite) but where I come from that includes a slice of beetroot and a slice of grilled pineapple (bacon, fried egg, patty, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions etc).

Seeya Sunday! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

i think part of the criteria for “best burger” should be structural integrity. a food that you cannot eat easily without it getting all over your face or clothing should be disqualified.

1 Like

Good food is messy and bad for you, facts of life.

What does this burger and fries cost? If money is no barrier then of course you can find the ‘ultimate’ burger.
Around my parts the “Fat Boy” is what most folks would prefer over a chain burger. All the mom & pop burger shacks have their own versions - basic is bun, patty, cheese, pickles, chopped onions, ladle of chili , dollop of mayo. A step up is adding tomato and lettuce.

A few years ago there was an explosion of franchise burger shops here, reasoning they could cash in on the craze. Unfortunately none of them came close to a Fat Boy in price and taste so most of them are closed up. It was a bit shocking how badly they misread the market here (shades of Target Canada !).

Structural integrity is the duty of the wrapper. Same goes for burritos.

Here in Australia, a “burger with the works” has the usual lettuce, relish, cheese, and tomato, plus a slice or two of canned beet (beetoroot) and a fried egg. Seriously good stuff.

2 Likes

Love fried eggs on burgers. Can’t say i’ve had beets on a burger but it sounds also good to me, canned beets have an almost BBQ sweet taste to them which would go nicely with the burger.

3 Likes

Pretty sure they still have that deal - but it’s a bit more. :slight_smile:
Thought you lived here still, have fun while visiting.
Check out the Friendly if you get down round North Park. They have tons of outdoor seating and cold beer.

1 Like

I’ll be there or be square! We departed the S.D. during the Covid 19, I was involuntarily retired [thank you very much], and the Dear Wife took the retirement package, we skedaddled up to Joshua Tree for good. Mom still lives in UTC, we come and check on her every two weeks. We have family that is traveling through the Summer, so a free lace to stay in UTC. Have a great one!

2 Likes

Mmmmmm. Another “secret”: We form our burgers as loosely as possible. That results in a tender burger and allows the fat (which – let’s face it – contributes most to the great taste) to move throughout the burger during the cooking process.

2 Likes

My neighbor uses Panko as a filler, I must admit that it is delish, and it does allow the various flavors to co-mingle. His thinking is that he goes with 1/2 beef and 1/2 ground venison, it needs some glue to keep it from crumbling on the grill.

1 Like

Check out Balboa Park while in SD. Over a dozen museums there covering all sorts of interests including classic cars and things that fly.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, and Nates Point doggo park is right there too. We still have friends that work for the City of San Diego, so we get lots of passes & freebees. Some of our old haunts are near there, Lancers Bar,
Krakatoa Cafe in Golden Hill, the Turf Club next to it, Luiggi’s Pizza across the street. Dark Horse coffee anywheres in the City. I could go on & on, but we mostly just want to visit with friends, we all got disconnected during the Pandemic, as is the case with everyone I’m sure.

2 Likes

Whatever’s your and the Mrs pleasure! :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.