LGBTQ+ & Queer Positive News

8 Likes

Wait. That was the comment Martha took issue with as a homophobe? How can anyone who has even very casually followed Lynda Carter not already know she is an outspoken ally. Not like that wonderful woman has made a secret of it!

14 Likes
6 Likes

Hold On Lol GIF by NBC

16 Likes

Clueless Movie Aww GIF by filmeditor

10 Likes
16 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

12 Likes
10 Likes

Charlie told them where to stick it

11 Likes
13 Likes

Awww. I wonder what it will do to the YouTube algorithm if I go look at that channel before it gets recommended to me again. (It recommends stuff from it about once a month)

Then again, this week, the algorithm thinks I am a large black woman looking for comfortable swimsuits and underwear.

4 Likes

“On July 7, 2022 the Pennsylvania State Senate unanimously passed Senate Bill 2125, which will remove “homosexuality” from the list of prohibited sexual acts in Pennsylvania’s Crime Codes.”

Good to get this off the books before the Supreme Court overturns Bostock vs Clayton County.

PA still has no statewide LGBT nondiscrimination or hate crimes law. Though something like 70 local governments do. It’s expected that the right will try to change the law to remove the ability of local government to have nondiscrimination laws going forward. In PA and in other states.

It’s best to plan to live in a state that has these protections should things degrade along that timeline.

13 Likes

As some states, including Tennessee, become increasingly hostile to LGBTQ rights, it helps that there are people within those states who aren’t just fighting back but also creating safe spaces.

Funny side note: every year there’s a “You are so Nashville if…” contest and some time back one of the entries was “…you don’t come out to your parents. You just move to East Nashville.”

12 Likes

Many years ago, I needed someplace other than Huntsville, AL to wait a week for my kid when she did the NASA summer program, and chose Nashville as being a reasonable drive away with a friend living there to visit.

Nashville is a much nicer town than I think most people realize. There’s excellent food, art & culture, a major university, and of course the music. Any time a place is centered around any of the arts, it seems to be a more vibrant, more diverse, and more worth visiting.

It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that there would be a strong, supportive LGBTQ+ community in play there.

10 Likes

I think Nashville’s focus on higher education (one of the city’s nicknames is “The Athens of the South” and it’s why we have a replica of the Parthenon) also helps. It’s not always that simple–Belmont University fired a coach for coming out as a lesbian, but later reversed their policy–but I’ve noticed that when colleges and universities promote and respect diversity that has an effect on the communities around them too.

8 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/politics/house-vote-same-sex-marriage-protections-supreme-court/index.html

Good news… it still needs to get through the senate, tho…

And this bothers me:

House Democrats, leaning into cultural issues in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s abortion decision, also are looking at moving a bill this week to guarantee access to contraception.

It bothers me that issues like this, connected to basic rights we should all enjoy, are being spun as “cultural” issues. This is part of the problem the democrats are having, that issues of basic rights are being diminished as “cultural” issues. Well no. Unless the discussion gets reframed as one of rights rather than of “culture wars” than it’s hard to get them out there as mattering and the GOP can keep pushing the economy as the only real issue (despite the fact that their entire platform is essentially culture war BS).

9 Likes

“Culture”, “Humanities”, “Women’s Issues”, “Black Lives Matter”, “LGBTQ+ rights”…funny how none of them are considered ‘real’ issues.

It’s almost like there’s only one way to be deserving of human and civil rights in the U.S.

oh yeah GIF

11 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

10 Likes

Funny, but in reality we’re still fighting both wars:

13 Likes

An article about a non binary pro wrestler who blew up the internet by using a barbed wire wrapped keyblade to win a match

7 Likes