LGBTQ+ & Queer Positive News

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

6 Likes

So National Review just published a ridiculously awful editorial opposing the Respect for Marriage Act. Thatā€™s not exactly ā€œpositiveā€ but not unexpected either. Hereā€™s what surprised me a bit: in the comments section, the vast, vast, majority of their readers were calling out the editors for being fools, bigots, and generally way out of step with where America is today, with many comparing it to William F. Buckleyā€™s support for segregation and something that critics will hold against them for generations to come. This attitude would not have been the case among readers of that (ahem) ā€œpublicationā€ just a few years ago.

4 Likes
12 Likes

This is beautiful.

15 Likes

This feels like someone who has read a lot of Discworld and internalized it well. Well done!

13 Likes

Sandi Toksvig is wonderful and has been a TV and radio presenter in the UK since I was a kid.
Sheā€™s lovely and funny and fiercely defensive of LGBTQ+ rights.

I think sheā€™d be a fabulous friend and/or auntie.

15 Likes

Sandi is wonderful, at least from the relatively few times Iā€™ve seen her. I went through a period a few years ago where I was watching a lot of UK panel shows on Youtube and she always came across as a delightful person.

14 Likes
9 Likes

Sheā€™s fucking awesomeā€¦

11 Likes

According to QI, she was at NASA when Eagle landed on the moon in 1969.

Weird factoid of the day :wink:

12 Likes

Neat!

10 Likes

A family member was an Ambassador so little Sandi got to go :hugs:

13 Likes
5 Likes

An interview with Andy Bell that includes a discussion of his activism:

9 Likes

I remember him in Be Cool, in fact I think itā€™s the only thing I remember about it. It was refreshing to see that he wasnā€™t just going to play musclehead roles.

4 Likes

good trees bearing good fruit and bad trees bearing bad fruit. Thatā€™s the sort of message that would be great from you. Really simple. Just be a good person. Thatā€™s it. Jesus never even mentioned whether the tree was bent or not.

This bit was hilarious (in British slang, bent means gay).

And to add to what everyone else has said, Sandi is a national treasure!

5 Likes

I love her casual, twinkly but steely delivery. Sandi is definitely one of the good ones.

7 Likes

11 Likes

As usual, logic does not play into these kind of theories. Arguing with logic is only useful for those who are not subject to the lies and prejudices in the first place. Assholes gonna asshole.

10 Likes

On the one hand: more bi erasure and invisibility.

On the other: we Bā€™s are masters of camouflage. Our army grows in plain sight!

laughing_crying.gif

The anti-trans rhetoric feels less about identity and more about othering and conformity and keeping up the pearl-clutching narrative of wonā€™t somebody think of the children. Fixating on where people can pee and what sport they can play are such low effort/high outrage triggers for the base.

In the sprint of this topic, though: goddammit yes, the alphabet soup gets stronger every generation.
:heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

6 Likes