LGBTQ+ & Queer Positive News

I block twitter on my computers, but I can get past the block by using Tor. The extra steps needed make it less likely that I end up doom scrolling.

14 Likes

Gillick competence is back!

15 Likes

Huge news!!!

12 Likes

Not sure where else to put this…?

11 Likes

Her talk show with Jim J. Bullock was pretty special.

ETA:

People were going, “Oh my God, this is revolutionary! This is so much fun. It’s just so different from anything out there.” And from that, the word of mouth went crazy, and so they committed to a pilot. We had a segment with a big ol’ yellow python. They put this python around my shoulder, this giant, yellow python, and Tammy was horrified of it because it was “the snake of the devil.” And so I was chasing her around the studio stands going, “Kiss the devil, Tammy! Kiss the devil!”

9 Likes

It does feel like something one would pick up with a really long set of tongs and stare at it while thinking “What do I do with this”

2 Likes

On the contrary, well worth a read.

6 Likes

I read it - it is worth the read. It brought back memories that this was an aspect of her time. Still feels weird like I was expecting it to tie into some con from beyond the grave.

4 Likes

I would recommend reading it, as @GulliverFoyle.

See? They even note that she was not exactly unproblematic, but it seems like a far better position for evangelicals to take than just outright condemnation.

5 Likes

I’ll take identifying with the oppressor for $200?

9 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Which is honestly why I was not sure where this should go. I think that from her perspective, she was trying to be supportive and helpful. And compared to other evangelicals and televangelists at the time, she seems downright progressive. But there is still that “forgiveness” angle there noted in the article, that LGBTQ+ people need to be “forgiven” for existing…

On some level, I wonder what the Chastain film and previous documentary were attempting to do here, with regards to Messner. It seems one part intended to rehabilitate her, but also one part give people who are homophobic in the extreme an alternative position that is less toxic, if still not full acceptance?

So… I don’t know. The problem is still the people who have no interest in embracing people as they are, rather than trying to hammer them into something they are not. It’s that which is the key problem here, this idea of conformity, via violence if necessary. We’re seeing the extreme end of that right now with the current GOP. Do we see the ones who are opposed to this violence, but still not willing to be accepting a pass because the others exist and are dominating the right wing?

9 Likes

Doesn’t matter how much mascara you wear, “I’ll forgive you because God is going to send you to Hell anyway,” is a shitty look.

Here’s hoping that movie doesn’t paint her as some kind of misunderstood hero.

10 Likes

I do think that’s where they are going with it… it was based on the documentary that she herself helped make.

8 Likes

disappointed krysten ritter GIF

8 Likes

Honestly, this is part of the problem of having so much of our culture produced by white, straight, cisgendered people - they see this as being progressive, I guess?

10 Likes

It kind of is, I guess, but the pace is S O. F U C K I N G. S L O W its painful.

8 Likes

Right? It’s frustrating. And they see it as being good allies, too.

9 Likes

It is progress, I suppose. If the homophobic evangelicals could be moved from hate to meer tolerance, it might cut down on the physical violence. And perhaps give the next generation enough breathing room to become true allies without having to entirely break from family and flock. It is easier, as an actual ally, to deal with the “tolerant” christians (I know several). Still, tolerance is less being an ally and more not being an enemy. :confused:

7 Likes

That actually sums it up. The difference between actively trying to eliminate you and just doing nothing. Its not good, but I guess its better.

11 Likes
16 Likes