Library of Congress asks: Who the hell are the mystery people in these photos?

Originally published at: Library of Congress asks: Who the hell are the mystery people in these photos? | Boing Boing

7 Likes
7 Likes

Answer: everyone in the early '90s. In fact, it might be me.

15 Likes

Has that Flesh for Lulu vibe.

6 Likes

:thinking: That actress reminds me of a young Jeanette MacDonald, but she was definitely not known for silent films…

5 Likes

Pretty sure the guy in the last one is Laszlo Panaflex.

7 Likes

I’d say Faster Pussycat, but if someone told me that was a young Michael Stipe on the right, I’d buy it.

2 Likes

#1 image: I’m feeling better and better about leather.

4 Likes

The camera I’m pretty sure is a Graflex Graphic View, and the shutter is of a type that would have been common in the mid-late 1940s (the lens cap is on). But that doesn’t really narrow it down much–gear like that could have been in a studio for decades.

4 Likes

Wow I wouldn’t have thought Ebn Ozn (not Edn Ozn either) but that’s not a bad guess.

2 Likes

That might be because they are Manic Street Preachers? I don’t think that picture is them.

4 Likes

Bob, Dorf, Winnie, and Boris.

2 Likes

Perhaps they should have asked ‘who the heavens are these mystery people’ we cataloged in the archive stacks.

2 Likes

Suicide (one of my old faves) is mentioned twice in the list. I find that amusing, especially for a band who was rarely not boo’d off stage.

2 Likes

Richie Sambora?

2 Likes

Apparently there is a band called Main Street Preachers, but I think they’re an even more unlikely candidate than the Manic Street Preachers.

2 Likes

Im 98% sure it’s not Ebn Ozn. Their jaws just don’t look like the ones in this incomprehensible video of their long-forgotten semi-hit AEIOU Sometimes Y

It looks like Robert Mapplethorpe and Patti Smith

I don’t think Patti Smith has ever done that much with her hair.

2 Likes

They’re all actually time travellers, which is why they’re unidentifiable, cos they won’t be born til the 24th century. Duh

2 Likes