Light turnout for Trump inauguration

This one might do…

13 Likes

So in other words you cannot phrase your argument in any other way but claiming a moral high ground and leering at the ones beneath you.

3 Likes

pacifism doesn’t mean surrender. being passive does. there’s a big difference.

i certainly think there are times physically fighting back is justified. at the same time, i see the state ( ex. the death penalty, mutually assured destruction, etc. ) and folks who’s philosophies i abhor roll out this same idea. maybe for me it’s still an open question.

on this we agree. it’s why i feel — more or less – it was okay that someone clocked him. it’s also why i don’t want to see this becoming the norm.

3 Likes

Frankly I respect the guy from idiocracy more. He saw there was a problem he wasn’t smart enough to solve and went ‘this guy is smart. He will help us.’

10 Likes

As luck would have it there are a bunch of guys in white sheets standing in solidarity for Richard Spencer too.

8 Likes

OK, here’s my new favorite reaction to the Spencer thing.

17 Likes

Secondary to the First Amendment this is the primary reason I am in favor of Nazi’s having free speech rights in the United States. How else am I supposed to identify them and protest them? What better way to find Nazi’s to punch than encourage them to have a march?

Obligitory:

10 Likes

As am I, even if I’m not the one to do it.

I don’t condone hitting this Nazi (or any Nazi) in the face. I just think it’s hilarious when it happens. This was an illegal act, but one that was probably well worth the punishment in this case.

Exactly this.

Is it really? Were those flag burners, gays, and brown people advocating mass genocide and inciting people to violence? It’s kind of a false equivalency.

Again, it was stupid for this guy to have hit the Nazi like that. He is probably facing criminal charges, and he could have gotten himself killed. However, that doesn’t mean it’s not incredibly satisfying for me to watch a scumbag piece of shit, who again is advocating for ethnic cleansing, get roughed up a little bit, just like some of us get beaten up for just trying to live our lives.

You can’t possibly be serious.

I appreciate it even though I realize it was wrong.

No it isn’t. As a rule, gay people don’t threaten anyone’s way of life, or advocate mass genocide.

I would say mostly the latter, but the former to a lesser extent. If we have the privilege of being nonviolent, we should be nonviolent.

Also, in this case I would not encourage this form of violence, but am glad it happened.

Pretty much this…

…and this.

15 Likes

I didn’t say anything about punching you.

7 Likes

I’m not sure telling a Jew he’s no better than a nazi is the best rhetorical device here.

22 Likes

If you’re ok with punching an alt-right jagoff, then I think you have to relinquish your right to be outraged when they respond with physical violence against protesters opposed to them.

1 Like

I don’t buy it. This isn’t about differences of opinion. This is someone getting punched in the face, who would gladly punch me in the face (or even worse) if he had half the opportunity.

7 Likes

More opportunities to punch nazis.

4 Likes

Whatever helps you sleep at night. When political debate devolves into a fist fight, you’ve already lost the argument. Just like the idiots who broke windows and lit the limos on fire, it gives the other side the right to call us rabble and come down hard on the side of “law and order.”

1 Like

This is a fistfight, not political debate.

1 Like

Do you honestly think that literally anything nazis stand for are part of an acceptable political debate?

7 Likes

I can disagree fundamentally with what they say, but defend their right to say it.

2 Likes

No one said otherwise. They aren’t and shouldn’t be considered part of public political discourse, though, by the rest of us.

3 Likes

So, you think that they should be allowed to say anything they want, but they shouldn’t do it in public?

1 Like

No. I didn’t say that. They can speak in public. I also think that people who dislike to hear racist BS shouldn’t put up with it. If they want to advocate for ethnic cleansing of the US, then they need to be aware of the consequences of doing so. One of those consequences might be getting hit in the face for advocating such views.

7 Likes