Light turnout for Trump inauguration

Violence begets violence. Punching an alt-righter just gives him the incentive to kill you. By encouraging violence against them, you are mirroring the brutal culture of exactly that which you oppose. You can’t hope to create a more peaceful world by adding to its intolerance and violence.

3 Likes

Sometimes, you have to use violence, though. Discourse is preferable, but it’s not always possible. The ability to NOT use violence is often a privilege that not all people have.

18 Likes

“Tolerance” needn’t extend to tolerating genocide or those who advocate it.

13 Likes

Alt-right neo-nazi gets punched by a black bloc anarchist out doing smashy.

I dislike both groups.

6 Likes

The short-term payoff favors the guy who did the punching. He will probably get arrested or maybe worse, but damn that was satisfying. It is probably worth getting arrested.

Even though Nazi speech is still free speech, and it is legal and assault is illegal, the guy who hit the Nazi in the face likely didn’t care that he was breaking the law, so there’s that. It should come as no surprise that people who advocate violence have violence done to them.

I say the same about civil rights activists too. Many were well aware of the risks of what they were doing, and knew that they and their families would be subject to violence because some racist views them as a threat. They were doing good work, but they were also entering a literal streetfight.

7 Likes

Does this man have any idea that that’s not even Jackie Kennedy…?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/internet-deeply-convinced-katie-holmes-190116466.html

7 Likes

The piddling crowd for Trump’s inauguration makes it seem more like Triumph of the Won’t.

What are you talking about, the crowd was huge, just like his hands!

3 Likes

So that’s what the plastic sheets were for!

16 Likes

I agree. Which is frightening in that our real world president is worse than a fictional president created to show just how bad things can get.

4 Likes

I have mixed feelings about the Nazi getting clocked (it was certainly a pleasure to watch repeatedly even with my moral ambiguity).

This helps assuage some concerns, though:

25 Likes

When the person on the other side is advocating violence and has no signs of listening to reason then a dope slap or more is entirely a good thing.

19 Likes

As far as I can read, no one here is calling for the ethnic cleansing of white Christian men from America, which is precisely what Spencer advocates. If you think that punching a guy is the same thing as advocating ethnic cleansing… I don’t know what to tell ya.[quote=“redesigned, post:432, topic:93289”]
which is why i also stated that sometimes it cannot be avoided
[/quote]

Sure. I think we’d prefer to head off getting to that point in the first place, where violence is the only option. I’m sure some feel that violence already is the only option.

I still think it’s okay to punch a nazi, though, precisely because they aren’t and shouldn’t be part of polite discourse.

18 Likes

This photo by Reuters News Pictures staff photographer Lucas Jackson was taken at 12:01:18 p.m. on Friday and not much earlier as many people are trying to claim.

12 Likes

I went to school with a guy much like this. Fifteen year old Oswald Mosley fan, wore a bowler hat and carried a cane through high school. Very smart, brilliant debater.

He’s now doing several decades in maximum security for stabbing his Mum about thirty times. Tried to frame his brother for it, too.

16 Likes

sometimes also known as cops. They are about as desirable to any movement as the anarcho-insurrectionists are.

Anarcho-communism and anarcho-syndicalism are reliant on “we the people”. Insurrectionary anarchism, not so much. Guess who get the most press?

Just to remind anyone who thinks you can change anything by smashing windows and burning stuff…

5 Likes

I’m beginning to feel like this argument is a distraction from something more sinister*.

*besides the stuff we already know about

1 Like
8 Likes

Yeah; it’s a highly destructive last ditch solution that should be avoided unless normal diplomatic and political solutions have been exhausted.

Such as, for example, when a narcissistic fascist seizes control of the most bloated military in the history of the world.

13 Likes

20 Likes

7 Likes