Light turnout for Trump inauguration

If by “we” you mean “an antiquated system that removes direct elections, negates the popular vote, and allows a small group of representatives to determine what’s best for the country instead”…

19 Likes

Just gonna jump in here with the burning question on my mind: how many Rockettes showed up? Because last I saw they were still on the program.

6 Likes

Not a fan of either the hook or crook methods. Next time can we just do it by who gets the most votes?

12 Likes

We’re not going to listen to you stinky Californians, so shove it. You aren’t proper Americans. If you aren’t from Ohio, we don’t care what you think.

9 Likes

You can’t play a game of Monopoly and then claim that the money for Free Parking is unfair when you lose. This last November wasn’t the first time that the Electoral College screwed up the election, and no one was really calling it antiquated and protesting for its removal before then, and had Hillary’s team been smart (or lucky) enough to exploit it the way Trump did, I don’t really imagine we’d be calling for the change, do you?

I’d like to see that, but it would require a constitutional amendment, and I don’t see one for that passing any time soon.

6 Likes

It doesn’t, just requires a few more states to decide to allocate their EC votes according to the popular vote instead of their state votes.

14 Likes

I was originally writing:

That would be an improvement, but doesn’t quite work because of sampling errors (aliasing). If the election has a 60/40 split, what do the states with only 4 votes do, or at a 51/49, what do the 3-elector states do?

But I’m guessing you mean all electoral votes go to the majority? In that case, it’ll work great!

…yeah, I’m a bit of a math dork.

7 Likes

Here you go. It was also a lot colder in 2009 than it was today

https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/newshour/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/comparison-withtime-1024x576.jpg

15 Likes

I count 18.

Warning: autoplay
hffp://www.wsj.com/video/rockettes-perform-at-trump-inaugural-ball/040F64DA-D682-433D-81AE-F315ECF759E3.html

3 Likes

That was interesting. didn’t realise that was a thing.

Kudos for turning it off. Now you’ve discovered that, never auto-play ever again :wink:

1 Like

In the post preview, it didn’t autoplay. I thought I was creating a link to the webpage and I was simply warning that it autoplays once you go there. Once I posted it still didn’t autoplay for me, it just showed a broken image.

I can’t avoid autoplays if I can’t see them myself.

@codinghorror ???

3 Likes

For me, it autoplayed here on the page (which was weird, never seen that before); then the video quit and was replaced by plain text, and has stayed that way since.

3 Likes

The video quitting must have been me editing the post.

3 Likes

Best attended US inauguration of 2017? So far…

8 Likes

And another one for you. One of my favorite live bands.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t the opera house be disappearing beneath the harbor?

They were more worried about nukes than climate when that was painted. :slight_smile:

15 Likes
3 Likes