Like Strike part II

Everyone to the cake thread!

8 Likes

Only because you stopped carrying the sword all the time, I assume.

8 Likes

Of course!

Dammit you beat me to it…

5 Likes

Absolutely. If it had been from a user I didn’t recognize, I would have have freaked out. Because it was @OtherMichael I figured it was a game that I don’t understand.

22 Likes

How about a nice cheese plate instead?

6 Likes

Even knowing the person, I was wary. Because who knows, right?

A few years ago, on a small MMO I played there was a user who everyone thought was mostly a harmless loon. He spoke mostly in broken English and even weirder French and everyone figured it was a persona he put on for the game. Then for some reason he got pissed off at me, found a way to access my Facebook account, and began spamming my personal information all over the game with throwaway accounts.

He was just mostly background in the game to me, I never really thought about him. We didn’t really interact or really even play the same parts of the game. I still don’t know why he got mad at me. I only even know it was him because he made a thread on the game forums yelling at me for getting him banned.

15 Likes

15 Likes

I don’t have a problem with @OtherMichael spreading the love like around. As others have said, it’s brought me back to look at older threads. It’s harmless fun. I do not think we need to restrict likes again.

20 Likes

Wouldn’t muting him solve that problem for you?

10 Likes

6 Likes

You can mute people? How?

2 Likes

i will mention that a year or so ago he used a public comment to chide someone for their use of animated gifs in threads. at the time i thought he was part of boingboing or i would have flagged his post. i found out later he was part of discourse not boing boing. his post here isn’t quite as offensive and hectoring as the one in that thread was but he does seem to feel the need to chide people publicly from time to time. go figure.

13 Likes

Go to: https://bbs.boingboing.net/users/actionabe/preferences
Scroll down to the bottom and there’s a text box to add names of users you want to mute

(if you’re planning to mute me, just forget I said anything on this topic ;))

10 Likes

14 Likes

Go to your preferences. You can mute a person, a thread, even topics (categories). At one point there were so many new game threads that I seriously considered muting that one.

10 Likes

I have no one I want to mute. There was someone maybe a year back, but they’re not active anymore.

4 Likes
5 Likes

I just unmuted a load of people. I’m feeling munificent today, so they can have another chance.

Not @system, though. They are permamuted.

8 Likes

Depending on which way you mean it:

“Muting” (the Discourse function, which you can access by clicking your user icon, then your settings) only mutes notifications, which solves the “problem” of getting a dozen new Like notifications from The Dude.

@gwwar has written an excellent fragment of Javascript that can mute users, which is contrary to the Discourse philosophy. It works well. As written, it dims messages from people you have blocked, but it can be tweaked to hide them completely. More info here.

5 Likes

You mean this post?

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/on-replying-with-the-same-animated-gif-many-times/

I read that one at some point whilst perusing old threads out of boredom.

At the risk of pissing anyone off inadvertently, I will just say this;

I believe that there are more efficient and dare I say professional ways of resolving issues… like addressing the pertinent individuals directly, in private.

16 Likes