Lil Nas X drops first new music in a year, to howls of complaint from right-wing evangelists

Originally published at: Blasphemy! Lil Nas X drops new video

5 Likes

I’m unfortunately well over 30, and all I’m upset about is that I’ll never (have) look(ed) as good without a shirt. :smiling_face_with_tear:

21 Likes

There’s a little bit more to the narrative as well that ends up not looking great for Lil Nas X.

1 Like

Many of us over 30 remember that Like A Prayer by Madonna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fzeNUqQbQ got the same “blasphemy” designation due to portraying a black saint and being anti-racist. Pope John Paul II condemned it. Pepsi even voided Madonna’s commercial contract under pressure from religious groups. The let her keep the $5 MILLION they had paid her. Basically everything old is new again.

26 Likes

I like the cauldron filled with human arms. Good Halloween decoration idea

11 Likes

We’re more popular than Jesus.

12 Likes
15 Likes

Lil Nas has studied Madonna’s career like General MacArthur gearing up to hit a beach in Manilla.

13 Likes

A person who claims to be Christian making things up and telling lies?

No, that’s just not possible in 'Merica.

5 Likes

That’s just part of his little stunts he does before dropping music. It plays to his fans and riles his haters, and gets him a LOT of attention.

4 Likes

I’m fine with being controversial, but the lie is more lame and unnecessary

1 Like

5 Likes

Um, I don’t think it’s a lie, it’s a pretty obvious joke. His “letter” was signed by Jerry Falwell, who’s been dead for nearly two decades. And the idea of Lil Nas X going to Liberty University is ridiculous. The fact that they felt they had to respond just meant they were successfully trolled.

Perhaps he could share another letter saying he’s a delegate to the next Republican convention.

17 Likes

So… he’s advertising his work for his audience (by engaging in these PR things), getting them excited about the next album? Isn’t that the point? So he can sell albums and get streams and make a living?

Man… UNFUCK liberty college. Who cares? they are a college dedicated to cranking out far right fascists who are bent on destroying people LIKE Little Nas X… he’s REALLY not the bad guy in this equation… Like, by a whole fucking lot.

20 Likes

He really belongs more in the Vatican.

For the costumes alone.

8 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Seriously. Why would anything think that’s serious rather than just a funny thing to do?

I Like It Reaction GIF by CBC

Episode 9 Reaction GIF by Law & Order

Fuck it, let’s just elect him president, since apparently we can ignore all the constitutional rules about who can be president… at least according to the assholes at Liberty, anyways…

12 Likes

YEP! I love him for it. I definitely don’t blame him for it, just, how he does things. I think someone else brought up Madonna and Lady Gaga who both have used similar techniques to great effect for them.

6 Likes

Then why are you using language that is regularly used to discredit women, POC, and LGBQT+ people and make their work seem illegitimate? If you like his stuff and think he’s doing good work, don’t use that kind of framing, because it’s almost always used in a negative way when it comes to those groups of people who are artists… :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

The Last Temptation of Christ has joined the chat

4 Likes

Damn, this is an awesome piece of work designed to piss off the right and get a ton of free publicity by doing so. Well done.

10 Likes