LISTEN: In taped Trump phone call, he pressures Georgia secretary of state to recalculate election, ‘I just want to find 11,780 votes’

:laughing:

30 Likes

Really? Fucking hell.

"…Bowman said that the real problem with trying to do anything criminally with this call is demonstrating the president’s mental state, depending on what hypothetical charge is presented. He said while it sounds like a classic mob boss shake down, Trump walks very carefully down the line between extortion and pleading. Perhaps the president believes he really was trying to protect the election. Perhaps Trump really believes the conspiracy theories.

“That could be true,” Bowman said, clarifying that Trump may have convinced himself he could not have lost. “How are you going to prove he doesn’t believe that?”

And I thought that I was done drinking for the Holidays.

34 Likes

24 Likes

Whether he believes it’s a crime or not, makes no difference does it? If I honestly believe assaulting a cop isn’t against the law, that doesn’t get me off the hook for the crime.

33 Likes

One set of rules for people in power, and another, different set of rules for everyone else.

42 Likes

19 posts were split to a new topic: Is Trump guilty of RICO crimes? Can he be convicted?

how’d that work out for Vincent Gigante “the Oddfather”?
From the Wiki on this guy:
For about 30 years, Gigante feigned insanity in an effort to throw law enforcement off his trail. Dubbed “The Oddfather” and “The Enigma in the Bathrobe” by the media, Gigante often wandered the streets of Greenwich Village in his bathrobe and slippers, mumbling incoherently to himself. He was indicted on federal racketeering charges in 1990, but was determined to be mentally unfit to stand trial. In 1997, he was tried and convicted of racketeering and conspiracy, and sentenced to 12 years in prison. Facing obstruction of justice charges in 2003, he pleaded guilty and admitted that his supposed insanity was an elaborate effort to avoid prosecution, as he was sentenced to an additional three years in prison. He died while incarcerated at the United States Medical Center for Federal Prisoners on December 19, 2005."

I say bring the charges, let li’l donnie two-scoops try to fake it.

21 Likes

Convicting someone of this particular crime requires proving, among other elements, that the person committing the crime knows the ballots he’s seeking to have tabulated are “materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held.” So his state of mind absolutely matters and could be difficult to prove.

4 Likes

That’s the part that is so stupid. At first I thought this was a leak of a call from end of November, but no…

FUCKING YESTERDAY!

42 Likes

The good part is watching the Republican party eat itself. The bad part is that it oozes out onto everyone else. Too much collateral damage here.

19 Likes

He’s inside a whirlwind of conspiracy theories, attempted coups, election fraud and moving boxes.

Cownado

28 Likes

I suspect Tromp has been told this by lawyers. He never does seem to tip over into outright criminal talk in this recording.

17 Likes
25 Likes

It’s a good thing my celebrations don’t involve shots by the day, or I would’ve totally missed this story! :tumbler_glass: Between the lawsuits and this call, I’m expecting a new parody of the song any day now…

9 Likes

I thought I’d seen and heard everything from the orange idiot but this really does beat all. Sounds like a Mafia boss shaking down someone for protection money. The threats are not even thinly veiled. He’s obviously wound himself up to try and appear intimidating. Absolutely unbelievable.

5 Likes

Jesus Christ, even Pauly and Christopher weren’t this stupid. And they almost froze to death in the Pine Barrens.
And yet, nothing will happen.

7 Likes

I know you’re going by the past, but stating that as if it’s a foregone conclusion already written in stone doesn’t help.

Nothing and nobody is ‘eternal’; eventually, change gon’ come.

18 Likes

A gentle reminder to Mutantkind:

Please keep this in mind, as we get back on topic.

Thank you!

21 Likes

Senator Collins sure was right, impeaching him but not convicting Trump in the Senate sure did teach him a lesson!

/S

(Though I should point out, as big a disappointment as Collins is, she is not the worst person in the Senate. Clearly that person is Mitch McConnell.)

27 Likes

I appreciate what you’re saying, I really do.
But the crime boss has 17 days left in office and I don’t think anyone will push to make anything come of this. Certainly not any republican. IMO, I think the entirety of DC just wants to see this fucking madman gone.

12 Likes