Listen: ZZTop's "Legs" and U2's "Streets Have No Name" are the same song

In my hometown of Sandwich there is a street that causes existential arguments.

Luckily Bono never visits.

5 Likes

Nice try, but when two vehicles are caught travelling at the same speed? That doesn’t necessarily mean they are the same vehicle.

3 Likes

Or a half-dozen. https://youtu.be/FY8SwIvxj8o

2 Likes

Apparently I’m in the minority on this thread, but I’m with Cory: I think it sounded great. I get a sense that for some listeners a “proper” mashup has to be seamless; for me this piece is interesting precisely because of the way it hovers between the two songs in a not entirely predictable way.

The one I like a lot is from 2 Many DJs, where they mashed Destiny’s Child “Independent Woman part 1” and 10cc’s “Dreadlock Holiday”.

Works really well, IMHO.

1 Like

Well, when your working with theee chords and the truth it’s bound to happen sooner or later!

https://m.hindustantimes.com/music/three-chords-and-the-truth/story-UzuA4D1rnuHLzDVbyFZDHN.html

1 Like

Rime of the Ancient Mariner also works for Gilligan’s Island and Yellow Rose of Texas.

You’re right, the sample is from Ike’s Rap 2, not Daydream.

1 Like

I just like that we are talking about good music instead of that U2 shite…

2 Likes

12 notes and a hive mind.

1 Like

It’s called “common meter” for a reason.

2 Likes

“Life on Mars” is based on the same chords as Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.”

2 Likes

Not a mash-up, but a medley.

1 Like

I put together 2 hit songs:
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia

Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas

I noticed whenever I hummed one it turned into the other. I put them together and didn’t have to change anything. Same chords, same key, same tempo. Copyright seems almost arbitrary. (I’m not posting the mashup because it’s inconvenient and unnecessary)

2 Likes

Meh. The two songs have similar chord progressions but the recordings don’t mesh (mash?) well. A live performer may be able to fit them together.

For me mashups aren’t always about how good they sound together, but for the fun in exposing how formulaic popular music is.

My two cents:

1. ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons and Prince were kind of guitar buddies, and that blows my mind.

2. Though I don’t typically go in for mashups, the way this one recontextualizes the melody really trips me out: https://youtu.be/JrqstjPelZ8

2 Likes

One of my favorite scenes from the late lamented show Vinyl was where a washed up R&B dude becomes manager of some proto-punks and tries to teach them something about songwriting by demonstrating a series of identical songs.

I just want to dip in to offer an example that I think is perfect. (Mark Vidler/Go Home Productions)

And I can only smile every time I hear this one (Party Ben):

A really good mashup can change the way you hear the songs, revealing structures and similarities that aren’t readily apparent. Sure there’s tones of We Will Rock You and David Guetta mashups because it’s basic stuff, but when the elements are diverse and in some cases seen as oppositional, the results can be illuminating.

I still have my ear to the ground for new good ones, but many of the best DJs aren’t doing them anymore, and there’s so much stuff out there that’s not quite right, or forced.

(I’m going to spare listing a ton of folks I think are worth checking out.)

6 Likes