Local TV news staged a ridiculous "teen bedroom" to show where drugs could be hidden and Twitter is having a field day with it

I’d be more concerned about the heavy consumption of soft drinks, although I understand weed is best left untested until your mid twenties (something about plastic brains, etc. ) That being said, I don’t know anyone who didn’t start smoking weed in their teenage years.

2 Likes

I had the Mile 420 sign from Hwy. 12 in eastern Washington for a number of years in college and a few years after. When I moved in with my girlfriend, I figured it was time to let it go, so I leaned it against the dumpster in the apartment parking lot and it was gone 10 minutes later when I drove past.
ETA: When the WDOT replaced the sign, they put in one that said “Mile 419.9” instead.

8 Likes

Vertical blinds are just hideous, period.

2 Likes

Not gonna find 420 signs in Colorado anymore.

Maybe you can use a Round() function on the new 419.99 instead…

3 Likes

As a father of two former teen girls… let me caution you as to what you might find when searching your daughter’s room:

Certain items might run… on batteries.

Advice: Back away slowly… trust your daughter… and just let it go.

12 Likes

As a father of two teenage boys, similar advice: Never pick up any socks or towels with your bare hands.

13 Likes

I didn’t.

I was 20 and in college before I began consuming cannabis.

14 Likes

Oh, be nice to the still-existing local news channel with their local news channel budget. The country would be a kinder place if people watched this sort of thing every night instead of Murdoch media. Also, fuck Michael Powell.

9 Likes

This reminds me of a piece that aired on local news in Atlanta in the '00s when Georgia law changed to allow bars and restaurants to sell beer with an alcohol content higher than (I think) 6%. Over the course of an hour-long broadcast they had a reporter drink two beers that would have been illegal under the old law, but were not ludicrously high in alcohol – something around 6.5-7%, I want to say. They had a cop standing by with a breathalyzer and the clear intention of showing just how dangerous this new law was. But the reporter never blew high enough that a cop could actually stop him from driving and completely undermined the story.

8 Likes

well, I grew up in Nelson B.C. so probably not representative :slight_smile: To illustrate how idiotic I was, I started smoking tobacco when I was over 25 (quit long ago at least).

5 Likes

Reminds me of the WKRP episode where Venus and Johnny are part of an experiment against drunk driving and while Venus ends up getting blotto, Johnny’s reflexes actually improve with every drink…

11 Likes

The most important sign of potential drug use is that your kid set up their bedroom in an office conference room… :thinking:

14 Likes

judgement, however, might be another matter. I had a strange experience when I was about 16, and not by any means a heavy drinker, but a few every now and then. Anyway, I had to submit a lot of typing exercises to complete my year in HS, one evening to do it. It wasn’t going well, so I drank a half bottle of Scotch, because 16 = stupid. Much to my surprise, I got “the flow” going and polished them off in record time. And accurately, as attested to by my Father, who surveyed the scene and concluded it might be best if he checked my work. They say typing is one of those skills that bypasses consciousness…maybe so. Pierre Levegh drank Champagne during the 1952 LeMans 24 hours because he had to do the whole 24 hours without a relief driver and he thought it would keep him alert. Levegh was the driver of the Mercedes involved in the 1955 LeMans disaster, though it was not suspected he was drinking alcohol during that event AFAIK

3 Likes

I have fond memories of my teenage years, and how much richer they were thanks to my portable crooked light switch/HVAC vent display column.

14 Likes

I remember that one as a kid… I thought it was a prank and Johnny wasn’t drinking actual alcohol. Just pretending to get drunk and got faster on the button.

1 Like

Those Zoomers and their obsession with all things Joseph Heller.

5 Likes

I have never smoked weed, ever, in the last 10 minutes.

16 Likes

It’s that devil rock and roll, I tell you.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Right, that means heroin, where does one hide heroin?

3 Likes