Loch Ness tourist posts scathing TripAdvisor review because his family didn't spot Nessie

This reminds me of some confused Torontonians I ran into in Dryden once who’d been driving for a few days who were desperate to know when they’d get out of Ontario :joy:

1 Like

Oh, neat! I count 16 countries for me. (Though I am currently on vacation where I’m from rather than where I live. If I go from where I live it’s only 4 countries)

2 Likes

This does pose an interesting question: if a 400 mile radius circle could be placed anywhere in the world, what centroid location would encompass the most countries?

2 Likes

Any competent GIS analysts around? I don’t think it would be too difficult to answer

2 Likes

I believe you saw it. I am just horrified by the notion it can exist

Off the top of my head without any checking - Liechtenstein.
And let’s make that (rounded up) 650 km.

3 Likes

I would have guessed a northern Balkan state.

2 Likes

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php?circles=[[650000%2C47.1392862%2C9.5227962%2C"%23AAAAAA"%2C"%23000000"%2C0.4]]
Screenshot_20210822-085116

Damn, I thought that would juuust include Denmark, Andorra, Spain and the UK…

1 Liechtenstein
2 Germany
3 Poland
4 Czechia
5 Austria
6 Slovakia
7 Hungary
8 Slovenia
9 Croatia
10 Bosnia-Herzegovina
11 Italy
12 San Marino
13 Vatican City
14 France
15 Monaco
16 Switzerland
17 Luxembourg
18 Belgium
19 The Netherlands

@timd : good call, but tricky

Screenshot_20210822-091225
Tried a couple of combinations, but couldn’t make it work.

4 Likes

Excellent work. I think you can add Romania and Montenegro if you centre just south of Salzburg.

I’ve got two options with 22 countries: one centered in the Italian Alps which requires precise positioning and the full 650 km radius (Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Czechia, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Vatican City), and another north of Belgrade which works with 400 miles but requires counting the as yet only partially recognized Kosovo (Albania, Austria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Noth Macedonia, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine).

4 Likes

You’d add Romania, Serbia and Ukraine (not Montenegro, though) - but loose The Netherlands, Monaco and Vatican City…
And if I tweak it to include Montenegro, it’s bye-bye Belgium.

This is fun, and has nothing to do with procrastinating at all

Screenshot_20210822-092149

Screenshot_20210822-091923

Screenshot_20210822-094007

Screenshot_20210822-093558

Screenshot_20210822-093132

Screenshot_20210822-092848

Screenshot_20210822-092416

Takeaways:

• Europe is pretty… compact.
  • A 650 km radius is just too small for anywhere else in the world, you’re hard pressed to draw that circle and make it touch 10 countries.
  • A lot of places are not where I thought I remembered them from geography lessons in school.

Anyway:

Convenient.

6 Likes

The best line in the film LA Story is Steve Martin’s character gesturing at the city while proudly declaring “Some of these buildings are over fifty years old!” to his British visitor.

4 Likes

Nice!!!
Option one is pretty much Bruneck/Brunico.
I pass through there a couple of times a year (in non-pandemic times, anyway).

2 Likes

Link

Only just scrapes Netherlands and Montenegro

2 Likes

I’m kinda torn between

“I like the relationships. I mean, each character has his own story. The puppy is a bit too much, but you have to over look things like that in these kinds of paintings. The way he’s holding her… it’s almost… filthy. I mean, he’s about to kiss her and she’s pulling away. The way the leg’s sort of smashed up against her… Phew… Look how he’s painted the blouse sort of translucent. You can just make out her breasts underneath and it’s sort of touching him about here. It’s really… pretty torrid, don’t you think? Then of course you have the onlookers peeking at them from behind the doorway like they’re all shocked. They wish. Yeah, I must admit, when I see a painting like this, I get emotionally… erect.”

and

“Three years? You mean this has been going on since the '80s?”

1 Like

Heh. I used Lienz as the centre… close, but no cigar.

1 Like

I went during the month of January. So damn cold and no aurora.

1 Like

If you lose Poland, you can definitely get Spain and might just be able to get Andorra without losing Slovakia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Netherlands.

2 Likes

I started yesterday using the tool at my immediate disposal (Google Earth) and aimed for the Balkans region too.

Too much work!

3 Likes

Tricky. It’s either Spain or Poland. Including Andorra means losing too much of the Balkan, and Croatia’s coastline is just too long, pushing too far southeast means letting go of the Benelux countries…

No, the best (and possible only) option to cover 20+ countries is @bucaneer 's option one.

(I might give it another try on the desktop instead of fat-fingering this on the tablet, but right now I can’t see how to get to 23 countries.)

2 Likes