Look at this wild boar go after a hapless Japanese businessman

Boar is pretty greasy, but it lacks that particular blend of very strong gamy and fishy flavors that makes whale so popular.

1 Like

This article describes an environmental horror show, but this is a fun sentence: “Brian “Pig Man” Quaca (Tom Quaca’s son) paces the floor of his hunting lodge, waving his arms and free-associating about hogs he has known”:

What seems different about boars is that while most animals (even armed ones) try to avoid or flee humans, the boar’s aggression (what is behind this, territorial hormones?) makes it stop to try to mess up the human before it runs off.

1 Like

I mean, there are cooking workarounds, right? I’m in mind of the restaurantuer who’s taking advantage of the leaping carp(?) situation in the Great Lakes region.

1 Like

Indeed. You could approximate the flavor by starting with a really fatty cut of mutton, and adding in some pungent and less-than-fresh fish.

:face_vomiting:

5 Likes
2 Likes

I lived between Kobe and Osaka for a year.

I can attest to seeing wild boars just walking along the street up near the hillside near the outskirts of Konan University. Big ones too.

I think they are attracted to both trash and River walks for water and food. Yes some things in Japan are exactly like anime- you will actually see wild boars wandering city streets if you go to the right parts of the cities on the outskirts.

3 Likes

The boar uprising has been documented by Cody Johnston for years now.

5 Likes

Tucson is absolutely packed with javelina (collared peccaries). I live in Midtown, and most of the times I’ve been forced to drive around the neighborhood at an hour before dawn I’ve seen them sauntering around the neighborhood streets and even walking down the colonnade in front of wHole Foods. On the plus side, they are much smaller than wild boars can be (usually topping out at around 60 lbs.), although they do get pretty close to the size of the pig in the video. They are also more erratic in their behavior: there’s about a 50/50 chance that they will respond to a threat by running away versus attacking.

On the down side, wild boar typically travel in small family groups (30-50…hmmm): javelina travel in packs of up to 50, and their javelins (canine teeth) are in both jaws, rather than just having tusks that point out of the side of the mouth.

There have been reported injuries from people feeding them (stupid) but the thing that really seems to piss them off is dogs, so if you’re not walking a dog and keep your distance, you don’t have much to worry about.

Except for the smell.

10 Likes

WILD BOARS!
WILD BOARS!
WILD BOARS!
dada dada dada dum WILD BOARS!

6 Likes

This has a map of world distribution:
http://wildpigscanada.ca/wild-boar-information/history/

1 Like

We’re any of these aggressive boars found… on floors?

giphy

3 Likes

Boar also lacks the cocktail of chemical pollutans that makes whales so interesting to eat.

3 Likes

A small pride of lions.

What?

1 Like

What do you think of my snazzy pigskin briefcase?

I’ve heard that wild boar used to be (and may still be) referred to as “mountain whale” to get around Buddhist prohibitions on eating land animals.

2 Likes

I watched a documentary about whaling in Japan which said that:

a) whale meat tastes of nothing

b) whale meat was important in post-war Japan because it was a cheap source of protein

c) middle-aged Japanese people who like eating whale meat do so out of nostalgia for their whale meat school lunches

1 Like

Couldn’t they just throw some fish sauce on the meat? Problem solved!

2 Likes

Came here to wonder why random boar attacks can’t happen here to people who really, really deserve it.

Seeing Stephen Miller knocked over and tusk-ganked by a boar would do wonders for national moral.

Also, that crazy evangelist cult lady who just joined the White House staff.

4 Likes

From the recipe post above:

"…recipe for removing that gaminess for wild hogs as well as any other wild meat.

1. Put the meat in a cooler with the drain open so water can drain out.

2. Pack it with ice and keep it packed with ice for 4 days. [Note: very important]

3. Rinse meat and close drain.

4. Mix a box of baking soda with enough water to cover the meat in the cooler.

5. Pack it with ice and leave it for 24 hours. Add ice as needed.

6. Rinse meat and you will find that the “gaminess” is gone. The baking soda takes it out."

2 Likes