Look what I made for lovers of Kewpie mayonnaise

Nope. It is just a pic I got through a google search of the dish.
It is simple enough that there is plenty of room for variation.

I am definitely trying your aioli recipe!

1 Like

I took the liberty of melding @frauenfelder’s file with the posable tentacles I’ve been working on, to create a sort of seasonal Urotsukidoji / elder god themed mayo centerpiece, which seemed like the obvious next step here:

mayo_urutsokidoji

Mayo_Tentacles.stl.zip (6MB)

(the image is a cunning deepfake, I don’t actually have a bottle of this mayo to test it on)

(and yes, I did leave clearance for the hinge. I… eyeballed it)

21 Likes

This thread needs even more recipes!

4 Likes

Salt lime is the only weird ingredient in there. I made a bunch of salt-pickled limes earlier this year that I then dehydrated (which then broke my food processor trying to grind), so I use those, but you can also find dried limes (limu omani) at any Persian or Middle-Eastern grocery store. Smashed up it works just fine.

The aioli also works great as a marinade / brine without the mayo. It doesn’t work very well as a salad dressing, the gochujang is too sticky. If you add orange juice and any smoky chili (I like guajillo) it tastes like adobo.

5 Likes

Oooh I got those stores in my neighborhood! I’ve seen those!

Gochujang + Kewpie mayo = a nice condiment/dipping sauce

3 Likes

Agreed on Gochujang + Kewpie mayo being a great dipping sauce for just about anything. It also makes a great Hollandaise, to which I like to add some basil and green onion pulsed into it with an immersion blender. This makes sense because spicy barbeque + Hollandaise is amazing.

3 Likes

Not to knock 3D printing, but the lid looks flat, so couldn’t you just turn it upside down in a door shelf and prop it up with other bottles in the door shelf if needed?

1 Like

Email me!

1 Like

Sure, but this is more fool proof

4 Likes

STL files are great for printing but not so great for modifying. How about a source file, Mark?

1 Like

Please let us know if you find anything at all healthy in that aisle.

1 Like

This whole MSG / Mayo thing has everyone in an uproar, I’m go’n sneak out the back cyber door and leave it at that. Who knew, I ask you?

@bheerssen

I did, but it was the next aisle over, good deal on Jeam Beam this week, a handle was $18+tx, couldn’t beat it with a stick. I checked if MSG is in the Whiskey, astonishingly no…

5 Likes

Maybe Rachel had too much MSG.

2 Likes

Super cool!

1 Like

In terms of citations, I’ll refer you to the work of Dr. John Olney:

I stay away from the stuff.

This John Olney?

But there are problems relating Olney’s experiments to human subjects. He chose to inject mice with MSG under their skin, whereas the only way humans consume MSG is by eating it, says John Fernstrom, a professor of psychiatry, pharmacology and chemical biology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and glutamate is largely metabolized in the gut. “You have to read between the lines very carefully to see when there is [a study about] MSG-induced brain damage,” says Fernstrom, “It’s always by injection.”

Furthermore, Olney injected the MSG into his mouse subjects in doses that were actually fit for horses — far higher than what any human would ever consume. “Anything consumed in excess is no good,” says Lee. “Everything consumed in excess could be toxic, including MSG. However, that being said, I have yet to see any documented account of somebody killing [himself] by consuming vast quantities of MSG. It would be extremely difficult to do.”

7 Likes

i did! : )

1 Like

That works, until you close the door (where I keep my condiments) and it falls over.

Thanks for the design, @markfrauenfelder!

4 Likes

Soy sauce will kill you in far lower quantities than that, but it still isn’t the MSG killing you.

ETA: you wouldn’t believe the amount of far-right anti-soy propaganda I had to search through to find that.

9 Likes

Thank you for your sacrifice!

5 Likes