Look what I made for lovers of Kewpie mayonnaise

I’m eating delicious, delicious kewpie mayo right now! In a multi-grain roll with ham and lettuce. The kewpie’s from a huge (1 litre?) bottle my bestie got me and has a star-shaped nozzle so you can make fancy patterns with it. And as a poster above said, the plastic bottle is so thin it’s almost a bag.

None of this is really relevant to the original post. But well done @frauenfelder on developing a way to get the most out of your kewpie and offering it to boingers!

4 Likes

To quote Stephen Fry, “of course too much is bad for you! That’s what too much means

11 Likes

You can use a 3D printer for other things, too.

One of the very first things I drafted and printed was a pivot joint for one of those infernal bifold closet doors after the old one broke (and never fit quite right anyway). So handy.

4 Likes

Five years ago I would have laughed at this as a great bit of satire.

Now I know you’re not kidding.

I hate this fucking timeline.

10 Likes

At first glance (it is morning and I am sleepy), I thought those calipers were some kind of fancy mayo syringe you’d knocked up :open_mouth:

1 Like

lovly:咧着嘴笑:

1 Like

Scissors… Really? If you’ve got glue, then just glue a rock to the top of the bottle. No need to have fancy metal scissors in your house, with all the sharpening they require, not to mention all the time we spend teaching our kids the proper safety precautions.:smirk_cat:

4 Likes

Yeah, he had campaigned against MSG, between 1969 and 1990. Then he stopped.

Eating Kewpie mayo won’t burn out your neurons, but if you don’t want to eat it, that’s cool. You’re missing out though!

3 Likes

I think this stuff, although adulterated with some other ingredients, such as the spices listed, is basically salt and MSG as these are the two first-listed ingredients. Definitely adds some MSG goodness to melted cheese on toast.

Ingredients

Iodised Salt, Flavour Enhancer (Mono- Sodium Glutamate), Lactose , Wheat Starch, Yeast Extract, Onions (3%), Palm Fat, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Anti-Caking Agent (Calcium Silicate), Spices (Garlic Powder, Turmeric, Celery Seeds, Cloves), Mushroom Powder, Bay Leaves Powder

1 Like

Mark, you beautiful genius. This is the kind of thing that will help me convince my wife that we “need” a 3D printer.

1 Like

So are your various Adobo spice blends, Magi seasoning and a bunch of similar things. The unifying thing that should tell you MSG isn’t an issue is that it’s pretty much just white people and westerners who report any sorts of problems. Its a really common thing to use pretty much everywhere but Europe and the US/Canada.

But I was more trying to point towards a healthfood/supliment that’s basically just MSG. Nutritional yeast is marketed as a “healthy” alternative to things like Parmesan cheese and a diet food. But much like apple cider vinegar is also pushed as a sort of general “all natural” remedy that provides nebulous “nutrients” your body isn’t getting from satanic foods with less bonkers ad copy on the label.

Despite the fact that the main thing in there, the thing that makes it taste good and makes it useful in the kitchen. Is a huge amount of naturally occurring glutamate in the form of MSG. The stuff is pretty much identical to the yeast extract used in processed foods.

Its one of a great many things that’s about to kill your children for Monsanto. But once its no longer a purified form and some one slaps “natural” and a new name on the label is a miracle that cures everything. MSG is MSG, whether you dump it in direct or it comes from a fresh mushroom. The chemical is the chemical. But you can charge a lot more if you grind up those mushrooms, label them “active mycelium” and imply it cures MS.

Stuffs good on popcorn though. Its like a less intense marmite and much easier to get on the popcorn.

1 Like

From extensive direct personal experience I can attest to the fact that vinegar - and apple cider vinegar with the mother is one of the better variations - does promote a very different gut bacteria balance and may greatly aid gut health for some people whose systems may be out of whack or suffering due to underlying disease. But that’s off-topic - I just wanted to say that yes a lot of apple cider vinegar marketing woo is woo, but there’s some truth beneath for some use cases.

1 Like

I met Dr. Olney at the FASEB hearing on MSG safety. Interesting presentation. I’m not going to eat that stuff. Tomatoes, mushrooms, sure. But not the isolated, purified stuff. It’s not a spice. It’s a drug. No thanks.

From what I’ve seen out there most recently the vast majority of products pitched as probiotics don’t actually do much. Largely down to the bacterias involved not being species that can survive in the human gut, and not being species that exist in the human gut. The bacteria that form the vinegar mother aren’t involved in the human gut, and can’t even thrive on human skin.

That pretty much leaves drinking acid. And increasing the pH of your stomach isn’t good, its a risk factor for acid reflux and GIRD, can really fuck up an ulcer, and iirc negatively impacts gut flora.

Drinking the stuff straight also strips the enamel off your teeth.

So while it’s possible there’s some positive impacts there. Vinegar specifically doesn’t seem to have been comprehensively poked with a stick. There are a bunch of known negative ones to offset. And generally we’re finding its difficult to play with your gut bacteria this way. I think the better studies of it use concentrated tablets of specific species or groups of species. Or poop transplants.

Outside of its use as a kitchen spice, it’s used widely everywhere, on every continent. It’s added to KFC and a hundred other “normal” foods.

People generally only complain about it when it’s thought to be in Asian foods.

6 Likes

Fireball Whiskey

JG: “I honestly can’t believe how tasty that was—it sort of tasted like caramel. The MSG brought out the sweetness and actually subdued any semblance of alcohol.”

Business opportunity. Maybe…

1 Like

But didn’t the FASEB meeting on MSG safety lead the FASEB to issue a report which “reaffirms the safety of MSG at normally consumed levels for the general population and found no evidence linking MSG to any serious, long-term medical problems in the general population.” (Source: http://www3.scienceblog.com/community/older/archives/M/1/fda0300.htm)?

That’s cool, I get it—not everyone is into drugs.

3 Likes

Basil, it’s a drug.

2 Likes

People complain about it in other contexts these days. Like I’ve seen some one accuse wine of having MSG in it.

But the root of the claim is hopelessly tied to the “Chinese Restaurant Syndrome” which was almost entirely based in racist fears of unfamiliar food. Initially none of the claimed effects were reported in any other context. And generally people don’t have reactions when they don’t know MSG is involved. But they do react to Chinese food when there’s no MSG added directly. And don’t react to other Asian foods that use it liberally.

The base idea that MSG might be unhealthy comes directly out of fears about Chinese food being dangerous.

1 Like