Looks like we're getting a Star Trek 4

this might be a compromise with the cast. there was plenty of talk they didn’t feel like doing another movie at all without him

he was supposed to be motivated by a grudge against the federation and that nefarious admiral, only after his crew was “killed” did he get specifically angry about spock

i just got completely confused again about the motorcycle period. that movie made no sense. ( sorry simon pegg )

2 Likes

In his sitcom Spaced Simon Pegg himself noted that every odd-numbered Star Trek movie is shite.

11 Likes

(An upvote wasnt sufficient.)

12 Likes

eep. irony. i guess he should’ve held out for writing till 4, just to be on the safe side ( i was rooting for him, it just didn’t work out in practice )

5 Likes

While I love Benedict Cumberbatch and felt he did a decent Khan, I agree with your general point with one major caveat: the TOS episode Space Seed establishes that Khan Noonien Singh is from “the Northern India area” and “probably a Sikh.”

This is problematic because Sikh is a religion, not an ethnicity. The historian in the show is clearly alluding to the Punjab region of Northern India, which is indeed part of South Asia, but not all Punjabi are ethnically or practicing Sikhs.

Also, before assuming the mantle of Khan over a quarter of Earth’s population including areas of Asia and the Middle East, Noonien Singh was a product of late 20th century genetic engineering, AKA an augment, so who knows what his engineers did to his genetic heritage.

But even so, I wish they had cast a Punjabi actor for the role, or at least respected actor Ricardo Montalbán’s Mexican heritage. It might have made the movie a little less mediocre.

10 Likes

I still enjoyed ST:B way more than the other two but i see that as a low bar to hurdle anyway, i can’t for the life of me remember the motivations of the villain either. Trek has never really worked in film anyway but especially with a director having zero interest in the history of it and just Star Warsifying it up the wazoo.

3 Likes

I think that’s what they call a „hard pass“.

Ummmm… Yay?

2 Likes

Or like Nicky Banks going from a baby at the end of the 4th season of Fresh Prince, to being a preschooler at the start of the 5th season; much to Jazzy Jeff’s character’s confusion.

They really dropped the ball by not having Kirk and Spock say, “Who?” to Cumberbatch’s revelation of his character’s “true” name. JJ really don’t seem to understand how to do fan-service in anything but the most superficial manner.

5 Likes

I haven’t scanned all the responses on this thread, but, per wiki, the ST producers have said that the role will not be recast.

4 Likes

Okay then.
At this point I literally cannot remember the last time I got excited for a movie. I don’t resent there being another Star Trek, or endless Marvel movies, but it feels like “pretty okay” is the best one can hope for any more. Very rarely anything thought-provoking or moving or awe-inspiring, just “well, there was another bunch of stuff that happened, that was semi-entertaining”.

2 Likes

That’s where that “five-year mission” thing came from, and of course that should have expired around 1971

2 Likes

Paramount should just do one remake of The Wrath of Khan after another, over and over, set in different timelines with different casts. That should be the Star Trek movie series from now on.

10 Likes

The Remake Of Khan.
I like it.

10 Likes

Star TWoK III, Star TWoK IV, Star TWoK V,

7 Likes

It’s too much. It’s glurgey by the end, and even if they balanced it out, they can’t have a baby and blow up the ship at the same time every week. They have to figure out how to tell stories with lower stakes and still get people to watch.

3 Likes

Tarrentino? No, this film needs a scooch of Harcourt Fenton Mudd. Maybe some Georgiou.

5 Likes

Or a relevant Patterns of Force inspired script.

1 Like

Looks like you’ll be getting a taste of a Nazi like regime in Picard Season 2.

2 Likes