Looks like we're getting a Star Trek 4

As a life long trekker who has never understood the appeal of the kelvin films…I am glad that we are experiencing such amazing (and not so amazing) Trek on “tv” right now. Outside of the original films, Star Trek excels on the small screen.

2 Likes

How Much for Just he Planet? or GTFO.

1 Like

Star Trek Yes GIF

There were a 2 and 3?

There have been thirteen official Star Trek feature films, so this hypothetical new one should really be Star Trek XIV

1 Like

Cyrano Jones.

1 Like

Are you saying all Dicks look the same?

I did love how Star Trek: Discovery managed to give us Harcourt Fenton Mudd ten years before “Mudd’s Women”, and even gave us his (ahem) beloved wife. Riann Wilson hit it out of the park, without diminishing Roger Carmel’s version.

I personally think CBS should let Kelvinverse Trek where it is, and not speak of it again. And someone please pry the franchise out of Alex Kurtzman’s fingers, his touch is what tainted Discovery from the get-go. As JJ Abrams’ accomplice he is responsible for a lot of the dumb ideas like ships being almost a TARDIS on the inside, the viewscreens being glass windows, and all the other “cool” things that are just impractical and dumb.

3 Likes

I’ll grant that Abrams had exceptionally poor sartorial sense. What with making the uniforms knock offs of the SW Imperial forces.

And with women in general and in costumes.

3 Likes

I mean, Idris Elba sets an impossibly high standard as an actor and extremely attractive human being. He was probably just pissed that the rest of us don’t live up to it.

3 Likes

I agree that the problem goes deep, an underlying value system that says “cool” trumps practical, or even realistic. It is borderline sharks with lasers territory, a pre-teen male fantasy sort of cool.

I liked Star Trek: The Motion Picture and think it still holds up because despite some of the craziest claims (a cloud that is over 82 AU in diameter!) it gives a sense of mass to the Enterprise, that it is an actual vessel. It feels like an actual ship, not like some cool playground or non sequitur sets.

2 Likes

Of course not!

They just can stop tenderizing that deceased equine.

2 Likes

Star Trek IV - Voyage Back Home once again, but this time with bats and pangolins

Too soon?

2 Likes

Please, this is a Star Trek thread - do not attempt to derail it by posting pictures of Sith lords. I will call for a mod!

8 Likes

It was the beer brewery / engineering section that did me in

4 Likes

I lost it at the plastic freezer walk in curtain in the captains shuttle in the beginning.

1 Like

That’s not the Grand Nagus?

1 Like

That really was an anti- Matt Jefferies moment. Original Trek tried to avoid greebles or having things that served no purpose, Abrams and Kurtzman are more solidly in the “that looks cool, add it even if it makes no sense!” camp.

1 Like

That did get corrected in the directors cut.

At least in canon in the 31st century and beyond as defined in Enterprise,tardis like ships do exist.

2 Likes