Looks like we're getting a Star Trek 4

One of the dumbest things in all of Trek and i have seen Profit and Lace. I assume you’re talking about the ridiculous turbolift sequences that seem to exist in some pocket dimension that extends beyond the confines of Discovery.

5 Likes

In DSC yes that scene was a bit redonk (but still more palatable than Proftit and Lace or Threshold imo)

My main point was we can’t fully blame Kurtzman for this since Enterprise already established that “bigger on the inside” already existed in the 31st century. One of the wonders of the upgrades Discovery got in S3 is that we can still be surprised and awed by something new.

And as a lifellong ship nerd, I have learned to get over any emotional attachment to 'thats not canon/that’s not possible ’ and just enjoy what we get. Its not like Trek (all the way back to TOS) has ever managed to stay 100% consistent.

1 Like

I’m more bothered by the nacelles that detach than any tardis action. That still makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Totally. Fans have been complaining about changes ever since the first film changed the look of the Klingons but that turbolift scene was like something you’d see on Star Wars or Doctor Who and i couldn’t get around how nonsensical it looked. Anyway, wasn’t that before all the significant upgrades Discovery got?

That too. I think it speaks to the visual effects in Discovery never really making a whole lot of sense to me, it becomes difficult to track what’s happening when there doesn’t seem to be any logical thought to it all.

1 Like

Pretty sure that was in the fight against Emerald Chain so that was definitely post upgrade. Unless im misremebering when it took place.

Discovery is supposed to be rather large (almost galaxy class size) so the cavernous inside still kind of works. If you squint :wink:

1 Like

I think you’re correct actually, it gets all those fancy upgrades midway through season 3 and the big turbolift fisticuffs happens at the end of the season. I guess the fancy upgrades includes pocket dimension turbolifts! Obviously for those dramatic turbolift fights. :wink:

1 Like

(Cue Kirk fight theme)

Dun dun dun dun duh duuuu duuuun

1 Like

Discovery was originally supposed to be an anthology show, with a different cast and a different time period every season.

It’s changed hands in terms of creative control so many times, I don’t really understand what it’s about anymore.

2 Likes

IIRC that was Fuller’s original idea but CBS didn’t want that at all so the show went forth as a continuing story from the get go. As for creative control changing hands, it’s only happened three times. But really each season being its own giant story, I don’t feel that is a detriment. The characters and their growth has been pretty consistent for me.

Sorry the show lost you, its been mostly great (with some issues.) I feel its strength and its weekness does lie in them sticking to these giant season long arcs.

3 Likes

Discovery was originally being run by Bryan Fuller, but he left before the first season even started shooting or something right? Man, I would have loved to see a Bryan Fuller take on Star Trek

ETA: Ah, I see that @akbar5656 confirmed this while I was typing!

2 Likes

Well, the weird new Klingons in the first season were all him, weren’t they? Whatever happened, it took a while for his influence to run down the drain.

2 Likes

I have no idea - I have not watched it at all…lost interest when I read he was not on board. I probably should, since I failed to cancel Paramount+ when the season of Ghosts ended.

1 Like

Yup! Fuller started it all out and then when release for S1 kept getting pushed back (and Fuller was pulling double duty with American Gods) CBS asked him to step down. Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts (who were already working on the show) took over for most of s1. Then while running s2 they got fired for being abusive asshats to the staff apparently. For S3 onwards Alex Kurtzman and Michelle Paradise took over. Kurtzman had been EP on the show from its launch.

2 Likes

There was also a major re-shoot of a lot of stuff before the first season was released, so conceivably there is an unseen earlier version of everything that’s even more Fuller-ish, hidden in some Paramount vault.

3 Likes

Started watching it. All I am going to say at this point is:

Is that?

/Checks IMDB

OH FUCK! IT IS!

Clem Fandango!!!

2 Likes

Next film needs more shatner.

If the plot is still weak, then throw in some nazis and H.F.Mudd.

It could be hilarious and also the final film.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.