Lord Buckethead wins 249 votes in UK general election challenge to Prime Minister May

Who are the Israeli owners you are talking about?

2 Likes

Hang on, he stole that platform from the Blackshorts!

5 Likes

Deed poll, or bought a joke peerage, i imagine.

3 Likes

So according to conservative UK politicians and a large portion of the British electorate one of the reasons for leaving the EU was that EU politics / Brussels is an unorganized partisan mess.

Wow what an excellent example this early election has been. Thank you UK, you really showed us how a decent government is organized …

Bwahaha -brexit Schadenfreude intensifies-

2 Likes

I believe under English law you can go by whatever name you like, as long as you’re not doing so in order to deceive or defraud.

You can make it more formal by changing your name by deed poll, which at its simplest means basically writing yourself a letter and getting it signed by two witnesses. Some organisations won’t accept this (they’ll want the more formal version done on proper forms and registered with the courts), but the DVLA* and Passport Office will.

* UK equivalent of the DMV, more or less.

3 Likes

So people finally figured out that May and her party have nothing to sell but bigotry and lies. I guess they didn’t make the Kool-Aid strong enough.

2 Likes

Then Nutter resigned. I just don’t know why UKIP are still a thing - they got what they wanted.

3 Likes

It’s so easy to change your name in the UK that one of the past candidates of the Monster Raving Loony Party officially changed their name to Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F’tang-F’tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel for the election, then changed it back afterwards.

7 Likes

As I understood it -correct me if I am wrong - an Israeli hedge fund was involved in the rescue of the Guardian after an ill-advised choice of Chief Executive caused them to suffer catastrophic losses. I don’t know the extent of their holdings or the details of their involvement. All I know is that around this time the Guardian became much less sympathetic to the Palestinians and postings on their website were being heavily censored. In fact, they could be deleted merely for criticising Netanyahu even if they were reminding people that he did not speak for all Israelis.

However, I am the first to admit I may have got details wrong about recent events. It looks more as if it may be HSBC currently.
http://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2015-03-03/hsbc-and-the-sham-of-guardians-scott-trust/

They haven’t. The original UKIP was a centrist party that wanted to avoid the Euro (and was run by Alan Sked). Farage came in and, following the trajectory of Hitler with the NSDAP, staged an internal coup to turn it into a reactionary, right wing party. He focussed on the EU because they were able to get elected to the EU Parliament - which brought in big money in expenses - but not nationally. Basically the UK electorate thought that EP was a joke and elected a joke party to it.
But Farage is serious. He wants a return to the 1950s. That’s UKIP’s objective; to send back immigrants, whiten the UK, and end what they see as political correctness.
However, I suspect he thought that Britain would never leave the EU, thus ensuring that (a) he would continue to benefit from exploiting fake grievances like bent bananas and (b) he would continue to get considerable financial backing.
Despite Cameron’s denials I think he really did want out of the EU because it would leave UKIP with no income, and thus stop them removing Conservative voters.
UKIP still want their far right agenda; they want brown people out, anti-LGBT discrimination, and the lower orders to know their place. Being out of the EU is likely to result in more immigration from Africa and India (as we need the skills and fewer people will come from the EU) so they will have grievances to exploit. Their biggest problem is that in 2019 they will lose EU funding - and it will be interesting if both the EU and the UK refuse to fund their EU pensions.
Personally I suspect they are stuffed, but they still have a lot of unfinished business.

2 Likes

Ah yes, as captured in this piece of archive documentary footage:

ETA: an MRLP candidate did indeed stand for Cambridge under that name in the 1983 election.

6 Likes

I don’t know about that. I suspect the Unionists would be pretty happy having a nice, militarized border between them and the rest of Ireland.

2 Likes

From the DUP’s manifesto for this election (p. 18):

DURING THE [Brexit] NEGOTIATIONS THE DUP WANTS TO SEE A FOCUS ON THE FOLLOWING PRIORITIES AND OBJECTIVES:

7. Frictionless border with Irish Republic assisting those working or travelling in the other jurisdiction

4 Likes

‘Lord’ is not his title, it’s his first name. If you change your name by deed poll, it’s ‘recommended’ that you don’t use a presumed title, but they don’t seem to able to stop anyone actually doing it.

Mr Buckethead has been doing this for a very long time, as it happens (assuming it is actually the same person).

6 Likes

They didn’t want to upset anybody by keeping Duke Ellington out of the country.

6 Likes

Ahh, that’s what I get for taking a party’s name literally. I’ve never taken too much interest in their manifesto but it’s good to see they continue to stagnate.

2 Likes

This completely syncs with a Bucky McBucketface ‘win’.

1 Like

Speaker Denison’s rule may take John Bercow out of the equation.

The principle is to always vote in favour of further debate, or, where no further debate is possible, to vote in favour of the status quo. For example, the Speaker will vote:

In favour of early readings of bills
Against amendments to bills
Against the final enactment of a bill
Against motions of no confidence

The thinking behind the rule is that change should only occur if an actual majority vote is in favour of change.

2 Likes

Changing your name by statutory declaration works just as well and is cheaper.

3 Likes

And Charles is Brian.

If you don’t read Private Eye, you really should. I would get out more but I’m waiting to see what they make of all this.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget Screaming Lord Sutch who ran for parliament 39 times and established The Official Monster Raving Loony Party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ZsWENob1s

8 Likes