Los Angeles County beaches CLOSED for 4th of July weekend as coronavirus spikes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/29/los-angeles-county-beaches-clo.html

6 Likes

Are they closing the roads south? Or is this going to be another overcrowded day in the OC?

4 Likes

For fuck’s sake, please no. If every selfish asshole insists on coming down here (with no masks of course, and no distancing…).

Someone in my wife’s hospital (worker) tested positive last thursday, and this evening she’s too tired to get out of bed. And this is despite n95 masks when out of the house, a quarantine/as sterile as possible outside world to house protocol. Hopefully she’s just ill from eating shitty cheesecake factory delivery, but I’m suspicious no, so she’s isolated herself into one room.

If everyone had the discipline to properly quarantine for a few weeks…
If people weren’t so F-ing stupid and selfish…
This was going to be bad just given the nature of the disease.
It’s been made so much worse because of how f-ing stupid and evil people are.

12 Likes

I live in Ventura County, L.A.'s neighbor to the North. Our beaches will be open.

This is going to be an absolute clusterfuck.

6 Likes

If people want to endanger everyone by charging off to the beach, send them all to Amity Island, and release the shark.

3 Likes

Bad news.

The shark died of covid during our 3 week stint as the area with highest infection rate nationally.

3 Likes

Only Fox and the Blaze reporting this:

1 Like

Going to need a bigger boat.

3 Likes

It has become apparent that a lot of cops forget that they are our servants, not our masters. And they need to be reminded of that. They don’t get to choose what they will enforce or who they kill.

It feels like somehow we have slept walked through a coup and the police have overthrown the government. The government leadership need to reestablish control over the cops.

6 Likes

LASD was a hive of scum and villainy under Sheriff Lee Baca.

I doubt that they’ve done much more than change the name plates.

6 Likes

I’m all for strong lockdowns, but symbolic closures like this worry me. Without an accompanying closure of everything else it is likely to drive people to gather in other spaces, most of which have a greater exposure risk. Beaches aren’t great, but they might be better than the alternatives. Closing the piers makes sense.

3 Likes

Maybe that one:

It also undermines faith in government. A half-assed measure that doesn’t work because it was half-assed just makes people mad at the government and all the “restrictions that aren’t even working”. Every time this happens, it makes people more likely to disregard the rules next time. This feeds on itself because when a lot of people are visibly ignoring the rules, more people start doing so, which in turn makes the virus worse, which in turn produces more half-assed government action. This is the loop California has been stuck in since the start of COVID.

1 Like

Generally speaking beaches are probably fairly low risk and I don’t think keeping them closed long term is necessary, but I do understand the justification for closing them over this holiday weekend. A few weeks ago I took my kids to a SoCal beach on a Tuesday, figuring that it wouldn’t be too busy at that time. I was wrong! It was pretty full, and we really had to go out of our way in order to find an open area to set up our stuff and maintain social distancing. Nobody else was wearing masks (even those not in the water) and I didn’t feel comfortable staying long. If it was like that on a Tuesday I can only imagine how busy it would get over a holiday weekend. Maintaining a reasonable distance from others would be far easier at a typical backyard BBQ.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.