Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium COVID-19 vaccination site closed by protestors

“there were no incidents of violence”? It was violence from its inception. Threats of harm from a terrorist mob or from COVID if vaccination was prevented. “I feared for my life,” so would they let me run the miscreants over?

8 Likes

Well I moved @Tamsin_Bailey to infinity likes…in my heart

4 Likes

Ironically, the rejection of this specific concept is the core, guiding ethos of the far-right/American evangelical horde who claim to be all about personal freedom.

7 Likes

13 Likes

Given the groups involved, the opposite seems a lot more likely. I’d be very surprised if anyone tried to run them over (except accidentally), but I’d not be surprised if they tried to intentionally run over someone either giving or receiving vaccinations.

That’s what’s so maddening. Their individual chance of being negatively impacted by getting the virus is quite low, but as they’d be super-spreaders, they’d infect enough other people to kill at least one of them. The consequences of their stupidity are felt by others, not themselves.

6 Likes

Isn’t this legal now, in some states? Running over protestors?

This is likely the exact thing that DeSantis had in mind, right? Right? /s

5 Likes

Afraid to lose the votes of these “protestors”…

4 Likes

California has always had it’s share of the right. The Birchers have been active there since it’s inception and both Nixon and Reagan got their start in California politics. And the west coast has long been home to a variety of white power groups, which are all home grown.

So this is a nationwide problem and always has been. Stop blaming this on other parts of the country, it’s all over the place.

Right? So Cal was sort of one of the major epicenters of movement conservatism.

They’ve tried to pass such laws, but I don’t think they’ll stand up to even the slightest legal scrutiny.

11 Likes

Well definitely not if people start running over Republicans. That wasn’t the Founders’ original intent.

7 Likes

@Blamp
not their job…
can’t include links yet but you can put it together and go to
the radiolab link titled “no special duty” at wnycstudios dot org
well worth the listen.

More sinisterly, it’s “babies as punishment” for daring to experience life outside their narrowly defined world view.

But I love using their own dogma to deflate their own arguments, then awarding points for the contortions they have to go through to reconcile the inconsistencies.

6 Likes

6 million votes for T in California1). No other Republican candidate got that many before him.
So I’m gonna go with home-grown.

ETA: 1) That’s 8% of his voters in total.

6 Likes

I wish I had a six-foot pole to touch them with if they get too close, though.

7 Likes

Vaccines cause adults.

Thankfully.

Good reference though :wink:

7 Likes

If I remember correctly, that was the one about the subway stabbing, right? There might be some pretty bad court rulings on the record, but I’m saying if protecting an event like this isn’t their job (also they’ve never once recovered a bike I had stolen, or in fact been useful to me in any way), why am I on the hook for part of their salary?

I don’t think these incidents are even completely parallel, but if this also isn’t their job, then what is?

Edit: obviously, I know their job is the protection of corporate property and the brutal oppression of minorities and the working class.

1 Like

Related: that idiot who purposely sabotaged hundreds of vaccine doses literally believes the world is flat.

I honestly don’t know how we’re supposed to engage with these people.

12 Likes

Dr J posted this
A doctor friend posted this on his fb before the plague struck.

13 Likes

“You mean, reminding people about Jesus is a waste of time?”

That’s why Steven Brandenburg is not in heaven, hidden behind the sky. So that we know a leering half wit when we see one. That pesky gov’ment!

1 Like

We have close friends from NJ that live here in Southern CA but both of them still have families in New Jersey.
Her parents are retired and live in a small town on the Jersey Shore and every summer for several years, she takes a month off work and brings the two kids. Not last summer, tho…
The oldest is 11 and the youngest is going to be 6 this year, summer 2019 was her second time and that was his 5th or 6th time.
It’s a dream summer for them, all the cousins are there, they get to spend all day riding bikes and going to the beach and getting Italian ice.
Dad takes a week off at some point to visit and takes the oldest to see the Yankees.

Mom told us after they went the last time that upon landing in Newark, the oldest turns to his little sister and says “Welcome to paradise”.

My guess is that this is the first time anyone landing at EWR has ever uttered that phrase, but they should totally put that over the terminal. You know, for kids.

6 Likes