Lost dog saved by random humans in a car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/27/lost-dog-saved-by-random-human.html

10 Likes

Crying like a baby over’a here. Finally a bit of good news…

14 Likes

If I had a dollar for every lost dog on the road that I helped, I’d have more money than whatever they’re getting for monetizing this one video. It’s nice and all, but doesn’t require this long of a video to tell, especially since the dash cam doesn’t show the dog in the car.

1 Like

Y’see? There are nice people in the world.

8 Likes

That’s incredible, glad these drivers worked together to quickly reunite the puppy and the owner.

5 Likes

I’m actually a little pissed that the one car just sat there blocking an active lane of traffic while the other went back to get the owner.

Number one rule of good driving is don’t create problems for other drivers, and there’s no reason the car couldn’t wait somewhere else.

4 Likes

I just went through this twice on Sunday. New dog Snorkel, seen below in pitched battle with a bucket, escaped the yard and went walkabout. It is a terrible feeling when you realize the yard is strangely quiet and your dog is gone.

snorkel

We got her back though, both times, and gave her a very stern talking-to that did absolutely no good at all. It’s like she doesn’t understand English or something.

She’s lucky we love her.

20 Likes

After your video, I love her now, too.

10 Likes

We just bought one of those 50’ wires that you attach between two upright things (tree, side of house, post, etc.) in your yard, and a long line connects your dog to the wire. Lots of room to run around without getting on the road, which our puppy did twice, scaring the heck out of us.

We’ll be getting the 100’ wire next as our puppy is getting big and has lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of energy.

(We’d get a real fence if we could afford it, and he’s never on the line thing without being within eye- and earshot.)

5 Likes

You should also consider keeping the 5 gallon bucket restrained or in a pen. It seems rather aggressive, and I’d hate to see anybody get hurt.

10 Likes

Our yard is fenced and dog #1 has never shown any interest in bypassing it, but Snorkel has turned out to be a prodigious digger. We may have to get a dog run until I can figure out how to Snorkel-proof the fence.

4 Likes

You gotta watch out for those orange ones, they’re vicious.

5 Likes

thanks i needed to see this today

3 Likes

War, war never changes.

3 Likes

Snorks needs her own Youtube channel.
You seriously can monetize that and similar footage.
I ain’t kiddin’.

Been there.

Our worst digger, oh let’s call her Hound-ini, could escape from nearly anywhere/anything. Our countermeasures, in order of increasing efficacy:

1. Take the chili oil from kitchen, pour a zig-zaggy perimeter line at the base of the fence, on the inside [yard]. Before I get angry people telling me that chili oil is barbaric and will burn dog’s eyes and tongue etc., please keep in mind that Houndini had been shot in the chest with a .22 by a neighbor running cattle on his property. It was in too deep for the vet to dig out, so Houndini lived another 10 years (for a total of 15, this was years ago) with that bullet in her chest. Shooting a dog is barbaric compared to chili oil on her nose and paws to dissuade digging. This eventually led to…

2. Take a big roll of chicken or “gopher” wire, or welded wire fence, at minimum a meter (1 yard) wide, and roll it in parallel along the perimeter of the interior fenceline. Use 2-cell cinderblocks to hold it down spaced every few meters. Bricks can be moved by determined animals or repeat offenders please don’t ask how I know. Maybe pour some more chili oil on the whole setup. You did go grocery shopping again, right? Or maybe make your own, if you grow chili peppers? (For really long fencelines I recommend going to the restaurant supply store and getting chili oil by the gallon. Works great to prevent cats from peeing on your bushes too, btw.)

3. Desperate measures? One of my neighbors had to use an invisible fence and yes it uses electricity. You train the dog to understand where the border is, and over time, yes, most dogs really will respond well and stop leaving home. There’s a learning curve for both dog and human, and it is a process, but I have seen firsthand that it does work.

4. A different neighbor laid a perimeter of big cement pavers in a 2-foot line around the foot of his fence. His beagle did stop digging. It was game over.

3 Likes

I’ve picked up dogs twice, but in both cases it turned out they were fairly close to home and were just taking a stroll on their own and not really lost. One of them was owned by an older woman and the dog had gotten the habit of running away for a while when it needed a longer walk than the owner could provide. As long as there is a collar with a phone number on the dog it’s easy to check.

3 Likes

Umm, just dilute 1:10 and put it in a sprayer after habituation. Then spray the range after every water event. Dogs ain’t dumb and while they are persistent I think they do care when we try hard.

1 Like

1 Like

One minute and twenty seconds to tell a complete tale of loss, heartbreak, and search, then serendipitous discovery, deduction, teamwork, a quest, a return, and reunification—including generosity, gratitude, and an all-around satisfying denouement? I think it was very economical storytelling!

7 Likes

Cool! This sounds right.

Do you put a soap in the sprayer with the oil? I know when I spray with neem oil, I have to put in some soap to get it to come out right.

(The neem spray is for bugs, not dogs. They love our citrus here and sometimes the lady bugs don’t come fast enough to eat them all.)

1 Like