I saw your suggestion previously. It is an elegant and genius solution.
There’s no way this is going to end well, there’s just too much money to be made here. The hogs are at the trough, and what they want is a much bigger trough. Bigly. Pigly. Whevs.
Is there anything, checks-and-balances-wise, to stop Trump from ginning up a tinfoil hat pretense to declare an emergency and arrest all the sitting Democratic members of the House and Senate?
Near as I can think of it’s: The military’s resistance to execute batshit insane orders, and the other is RBG and Roberts keeping the court in balance. If RBG passes away, and this emergency declaration goes smoothly…
Dobbs should have stayed in Yuma at KIVA. He has proven himself in over his head since then.
Trump’s ‘press event’ tonight was a new level of unhinged, even for him. I mean, I’m used to the guy being a dick, but it’s getting a bit… scary. Here’s a few direct quotes.
“I find China, frankly, in many ways, to be far more honorable than Cryin’ Chuck and Nancy.”
"The media, which I call the opposition party, in coordination with the Democrats… Look, you can all play cute, and I say 80% of you are possibly in cooperation with the opposition party. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous.”
"Democrats don’t give a damn about crime. I really believe that they don’t care about crime. I really believe this."
"Democrats have been taken over by a group of young people who, frankly, in some cases, I’ve been watching, I actually think are crazy. But they’ve been taken over by a group that is so far left, I really don’t think they care about crime. Sadly, they are viewing this as the beginning of the 2020 race and that’s okay with me. But they have been taken over by a group of people who don’t care about gangs, human trafficking or drugs. They don’t care about anything. I tell you why, they have gone crazy."
I’m sorta surprised that it has taken this long for somebody notable in his base to vocalize something like this.
It would not surprise me if our president did the following (In order of likelihood):
- Trim the press corps to just a few “trusted” entities
- Say that the Senate is the only branch of the legislature that matters.
- State that the Cold War was good for the economy
- Withhold funding from states that don’t support him or that do nothing politically for him
- Threaten to liquidate individuals in public speeches and via Twitter, and via the press
- Cut funding for former presidents protection services
- Suggest that “it would be terrible if something happened to X person”, or something similar
- If something happened to person X then say, “I didn’t say do it. Y person should be pretty scared now. Imagine if I had said I hope something bad doesn’t happen to Y.”
- Start carrying his own gold plated sidearm₀₀₀₀
- Create his own small presidential police force to execute his orders
- Label people as “traitors” and political opposition as “treasonous” and verbally bring back sedition as a crime
- Send the “new traitors” to Guantanamo Bay for a tribunal or to hold them during “the emergency”
- Attempt to revoke broadcast licences₀₀₀
- Personally indict former and current political rivals on various crimes
- Attempt to put the U.S. back on the Gold Standard₀₀
- Bring Ted Nugent₀ in as a political advisor
- Order surplus food stocks be destroyed instead of being given to those in need
- Give himself and select family members a permanent perpetual pardon/Indulgence₁, tap-tap no give backs, black magic, infinity…
- Grants pardon/Indulgences to significant benefactors (See James Burke link above)
- Require that all people₂ that meet him bow₃#⁴⁹
- State that he once, while at Carnoustie₄, hit 18 holes₅-in-one in a row
- Find a unicorn in the cave₆ beneath the Washington Monument₇
- State that he solved the National Debt by cracking open theLincoln Memorial₈ and getting all the giant loose change₉ we have been hiding in there
Notes and sources: 0000 List of presidents that packed heat 000 The Atlantic, Presidential Emergency Powers. 00 Mental Floss on the Gold Standard .0 Glue! Glue! Ep. 23 “Fairies & Unicorns” 1990s absurdist Flash animation mocking Fred Nougat. 1 James Burke, The Day The Universe Changed, Episode 10, A Matter Of Fact about selling and printing Indulgences. 2 BBC, What to do when meeting the Queen. 3 USA Today Thoughts on handshaking. 4 A seriously hard golf course. 5 Golf dot com on related hard to believe golf score. 6 Huffington Post on North Korean Unicorn Den. 7 Atlas Obscura, 8 Ren and Stimpy, An Abe Divided (S3 E6), 9 Roadside America, world’s largest penny.
None of these things would happen without a challenge, if at all. Some aren’t even legal, but I could easily hear this president say these things and be serious about it. I could even see him trying to do these things.
More on the Russian-owned steel company in question, Evraz (owned by Putin’s crony oligarch, Roman Abramovich):
How would that help him fuck himself?
Because after he gets kicked out of office we dump him in the desert and tell him he’ll be disintegrated if he accidentally walks into the force field.
Declaring a national emergency is one thing. Il Douche can try to do that, although the case of needing funds for a wall for an immigration “crisis” will be a very flimsy pretext that won’t pass a SCOTUS judicial review (in the unlikely case that it does pass, it will mean that the independent judiciary is effectively gone, and with it liberal democracy in the U.S.).
Arresting all sitting members of the opposition in one shot is quite another thing. Despite having more latitude than Dolt-45, modern autocratic thugs elsewhere seem to prefer arresting or detaining opposition candidates who they consider to be dangerous during elections so that they can’t win office.
All that said, if there’s a 9/11-scale terrorist incident perpetrated on American soil by brown-skinned people or if there’s a war (esp. one with Iran and/or N. Korea), the regime suddenly gets a lot more room to work its Gleichschaltung.
If Trump can use “emergency” powers to dispense with congressional approval to build the wall then it will create legal precedent for the next Democratic President to use “emergency” powers to unilaterally address healthcare or gun violence, both of which impact many orders of magnitude more American lives than illegal border crossings.
JUST DO IT! Let’s have a real crisis instead of the fake one Donald keeps pushing.
It would have been better if they’d done that. They worked to undermine anything that was done, then and since.
It would make more sense to change the title to, “FOX News host says things so that it will continue to be paid.”
Pretty sure they do care about crime, Donny. After all, they want you locked up…
I’m not sure it’s so much boots they’re licking as much as fully embracing the recent trend of lingual colorectal osculation…
Dump him on the mexican side? I’m pretty sure that the intentional dumping of such a toxic payload on a sovereign nation is tantamount to an act of war…
@Brainspore “Why is it only an “emergency” worth dismantling our very democracy over now that Democrats control the House of Representatives?” I presume that is a rhetorical question?
As a European, this applies more and more:
And don’t think for a second that I am tripping. I’m approaching a Vimesian level of soberity.