Louis C.K. film premiere abruptly canceled as NYT story expected to break. Women have accused him of sexual assault

Again: Not the same thing. What kind of an action am I supposed to take on the basis of that statement?

If it’s just about my internal beliefs, my standard of proof will be relatively lax - does it pass the smell test? Is it at least a hair likelier to be true than not?

If I am to ostracize, fire or imprison somebody on the basis of that statement, I have to be a lot more careful and rigorous.

4 Likes

For the purposes of criminal convictions and incarceration, yes. For the purposes of forming an opinion about whether someone is likely guilty of a crime, no.

Unless you are serving on a jury, the only question you need ask yourself before forming an opinion is “whose version of events seems more likely: Louis C.K.'s or the women accusing him of sexual harassment?”

15 Likes

Maybe there was something when Fred Rogers was with Special Forces in Vietnam. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Jesus fuck man… I didn’t need to imagine THAT.

2 Likes

If you’re going to take down Lois C.K. over this, Woody Allen must go, as well.

1 Like

This is an important distinction. The law determines guilt, but in our own minds we are free to judge as we wish.

I’m a bit similar: Sniff test first, then examine how much smoke there is. Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.

4 Likes

Much good comedy is “uncomfortable”, if not all. If it isn’t, it doesn’t generate the necessary tension.

2 Likes

Of course, you don’t have Louis C.K.'s version of events. He’s refused to comment on anything to the point where people like Tig Notaro have called him out to, you know, say something in a “say it ain’t so, Joe” kinda way.

2 Likes

Wow. So there’s currently zero basis for such rumors. Nice!

I fully support strong repercussions for those we can verify to be abusers. THIS kind of crap, however? No, not even close.

1 Like

By “everyone”, you mean men, right? No, it most certainly does not cancel out…

3 Likes

Rogers was never in the military.

Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have done so.

5 Likes

Dear goddess, I sure as hell hope not.

My limited faith in humanity has already taken too many hits, just this week alone…

10 Likes

It was a joke. Hence the smiley at the end.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Still leaving that up because a lot of people think he was.

1 Like
4 Likes

That is even more surprising!

1 Like

Fred Rogers was also a devoted pacifist; that claim never made any sense anyway.

1 Like

I’m pretty bummed out to find out the cardigans weren’t because he was tatted up from being in the military; that was a rather cool urban legend.

Oliver is always talking about how just when we think we’ve hit rock bottom, there’s always another level to which we can sink even lower.

Personally I’m just so bone weary I dont even know what to do.

6 Likes

if every woman is sexually assaulted, does it cancel out their pain?

3 Likes

That’s a complete strawman. A few dozen people who were protected for years by a culture of enabling no longer being as readily protected from consequences is not the same thing as an industry with many hundreds of thousands of people all being guilty. Nor is it with the priesthood. Nor is it with Silicon Valley. Rinse and repeat with most any other industry.

4 Likes