Louis Grabher's personalized auto license plate deemed too offensive to renew

Decades reading sci-fi and fantasy, and I never even noticed that. I learned a new thing today, thanks.

There are centuries of precedent for Ou-ra-nos. Whereas Lovecraft made up crazy words that he was the only authority on.

Last time I went on a Lovecraft binge, I read it all aloud, because it is tailor-made for histrionic delivery and thus loads of fun. I think that acknowledging the depths of his loathing does help the work to come alive. As one of the mongrel New Englanders he probably would have despised, I can get a certain amount of entertainment from his discomfort without condoning his attitudes. And I still have no idea how certain bits should be pronounced!

1 Like

The problem is context, of course. He can explain his plate when he’s around, but when he’s not?

I’m sure Trump has made things markedly worse, but words don’t exist in a vacuum. Context matters.

Of course, our own BB Publisher has a license plate that says “DRUNK” so what do I know? :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.