Mad Musk: Tesla CEO angrily headbutted car after safety sensor paused assembly line

I assume the concern is more about the heavy moving object passing over or through squishier parts connected to the head.

2 Likes

It certainly does sound like the ‘tude you’d expect from a certain kind of engineer, but that doesn’t make it a good basis for judging what safety measures are or aren’t needed. The main source of safety regulations is horrible accidents that have actually happened because a design encountered a situation its designer confidently failed to anticipate.

IDK about automation engineers, but I have seen plenty of macho posturing about safety regulations in the construction industry (particulary concerning stairs, balustrades and fire escape provisions), and it’s ridiculous to me. Perhaps people haven’t seen enough horror movies. When I hear about a safety requirement, my first thought is “hmm, I wonder how someone got maimed from the absence of that rule”, and it is usually pretty easy to come up with some gruesome guesses, especially when you remember that not everyone is a conscious, able-bodied adult.

5 Likes

You seem Disappointed.

11 Likes

There should be a list.

14 Likes

This erraticism and emotionality are exactly why women aren’t cut out to be CEOs.

9 Likes

You got that right. And most of the time they aren’t even that clever.

2 Likes

Trust me, someone like Musk can watch another engineer discuss safety systems, parrot it back completely, and still remain completely ignorant of why it’s there, as well as not understand why it’s important.

6 Likes

I can believe that and have seen it from other executives.

4 Likes

Nick and Nora could be role models for the universe, if not mid-rank deities.

5 Likes

(1) When Tesla goes Tango Uniforrn, I hope it does not take SpaceX with it.

(2) Notwithstanding the above, I wonder what the astros who are in line to ride the first Dragons into orbit are saying to each other about this.

3 Likes

As I have followed pollution issues from an engineering perspective only since the late 1970s, when my beloved grandfather died of lung cancer, and I’ve only been trying to build electric vehicles since I was a teenager, I truly know very little; certainly nothing compared to the average Internet commentator, as they are often pleased to inform me.

The oldest electric vehicle I personally maintain, after all, is only 45 years old; I am a n00b.

1 Like

The manager should have explained that Teslas are fragile and unrepairable.

7 Likes

Several years ago (when with my previous employer) we had more than a few very talented and motivated engineers and technicians bail for SpaceX. Cut to a couple or so years later with most of those people bailing for Blue Origin or coming back into our company. Reason? Extreme servitude. Musk demanded overtime (from what we heard from returnees… 10-20 hours/week); why was that a problem?

5 Likes

Thank god Musk isn’t a native-born American citizen. Jackassery on this level often means the rich guy in question is going to run for the presidency.

3 Likes

He has one American grandparent. Just enough to make a giant shitshow in the courts if he tries.

2 Likes

Not only is it important to strive for better alternatives of our current situation, but this company was the first to make the wakeup-call to the big-guys.
Musk is far from being „the“ car-maker, in fact anyone who had some experience with car-manufacturing agrees that it takes a decade to figure out how to get it done efficiently.
When Tesla got on the radar, it was all over the big finger to the old & stinky car industry on these pages.
But sadly, the trend also went towards self-pitying on here while focussing on anything the guys having success could do wrong in order to blow it up and bug on it …

I‘d love to see all you keyboard-critics/CEOs on duty … in fact, there is an opening at Tesla for an interim … You should all apply and make the it all waaaaay better :wink:

We should all work on ourself and stop smelling our own farts.

Functions as intended. won’t fix.

4 Likes

Then in your lifetime scientists like Budyko and Broecker first identified global warming as an actual problem, which by any measure is at least as important for the war on global warming as designing an iPad on wheels.

There are more Nissan Leafs on the road than Teslas, BAIC is selling more electric cars/month in China alone than Tesla is worldwide, and there are 80 million cars sold every year in the world (compared to around 300,000 Teslas sold in the company’s entire lifetime), so maybe your assertion is just a teeny tiny bit hyperbolic.

8 Likes

Only Level Three adepts can say mоist.

8 Likes

curiouser and curiouser…

2 Likes