"Mad Pooper" terrorizes Colorado Springs family

I was wilderness hiking in Southwest Tasmania years ago. Hiking the same trail, on a similar schedule, was a pair of young Scandinavian girls. They just shit everywhere, in and around the campsites and on the trail, leaving behind piles of poo and bunches of toilet paper. They seemed to have no sense that they needed to at least do it where other people wouldn’t have to live with it. It became quite the topic of conversation.

1 Like

time to set up a couple of those motion-activated sprinklers, i say.

1 Like

Homeless people usually don’t jog much, both because that means leaving their possessions unguarded and because public showers are even harder to come by than public toilets.

1 Like

Or as the French call them, “bidets.”

7 Likes

I spent 60 days on the road on my bicycle trek across the southwest U.S. without a single hotel room. I had less than ten opportunities to shower in a decent bathroom. You’d be amazed at how well a practiced person can clean up with a bowl, some soap & water, and a washrag.

2 Likes

It sounds to me like it’s a good time to camp out by the controller for the lawn sprinklers. Turning them on mid-squat sounds like both reasonable payback and an opportunity for hilarity at the same time. You can also get motion-activated sprinklers that are sold as pest deterrents. Just add a web cam and recording software, and I bet Youtube traffic would pay for all of it.

1 Like

Sigh… I’m not a “mad” pooper, just a “disappointed” pooper.

4 Likes

I hear they’re popular around here.

They post pictures from Charlottesville online and the internet is like, “oh that guy three people back on the right is Bill from Bend, OR.” Video of this lady on the nightly news in her own town and she’s a mystery.

2 Likes

A few things I need to wonder about: Why is it “worse” that the children first discovered the person? If they don’t know who the person is, why do they assume they are a woman?

How can anybody honestly claim “damages” from a problem which is gross but doesn’t cost anything to fix? “I was forced to pay a hazmat team to quarantine my house, and put my family up in a fancy hotel, etc” sounds like crap to me. But as somebody who is emphatically not a financial entity, I often find monetary claims absurd.

Not sure if it’s worse or not, but some (most?) people prefer to shield their children from the harsh realities of the world at large until they are better equipped to process it. That may make it worse in their eyes.

They have photos of the person wearing women’s athletic gear and with a woman’s physique, so they are pretty sure it is a woman.

Damages means an award of money. There does not need to be an implied or actual loss or injury for punitive damages to be assessed. They are intended to punish the offender, hence punitive.

1 Like

On what basis would punitive damages be awarded?

Damages would have to involve some sort of civil claim. All I can see there is trespass.

Does Colorado allow punitive damages for trespass claims?

According to this site, probably not.

And apparently under Colorado law there do have to be actual compensatory damages before you can have punitive damages.

I haven’t been able to track down anything better than the linked site but the info is line with other sites giving the same information about punitive damages in Colorado.

It must be fun being a lawyer in the US. So many states, so many different laws. Presumably most lawyers just pick a state and practice there and nowhere else?

I figured an actual lawyer would correct me on some kind of technicality. You win, I’m just a mostly well-informed person who can Google-search things, not an actual lawyer.

Most of my friends/colleagues who are lawyers do get certified in one state. As I understand it, some states have reciprocity with each other and some do not.

Well, the saying goes that it’s better to have the facts on your side than the law. :slight_smile:

Technicalities only get you so far.

Having said that the law on punitive damages in Colorado is quite interesting. Lots of debate about how it just favours corporations by significantly reducing the amount of financial disapproval a court can express.

What you do about someone coming and crapping on your lawn again and again I don’t know. Call the police? They’ve done that. Not really helping.

Injunction? Maybe. Pretty pointless unless you know who the person is and can get them arrested. in which case calling the police would have done the trick.

Kids with super-soakers lying in wait would seem the next thing to try.

In Texas or Florida, you might get away with shooting them. I expect that is not the case in Colorado.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.