Madison Cawthorn caught by TSA bringing a loaded handgun through airport security — again

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

The problem isn’t him wearing women’s clothing. The problem is him being of the party that wants to violently eliminate trans people and force all of us to follow a particular nasty strain of Christanity, and then doing stuff like this, because he doesn’t believe the rules he wishes to impose on the rest of us apply to him. He’s a fascist, who wants to kill all the people he dislikes while doing whatever he wants. He can fuck right off with that.

20 Likes

Thank you. His being a goddamned hypocrite is the problem, and he’s the one who should get jumped on with both feet, not Happy Mutants.

9 Likes

Of course the blowback against Cawthorn isn’t kink shaming, it’s hypocrisy-shaming. I don’t give a crap about what he likes or dislikes as long as he shows the same courtesy to everyone else.

15 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

14 Likes

I believe the news said the weapon would be returned. It was not taken on Federal charges, they passed the situation over to the locals.

Had this been some poor schmuck with an “Ay-rab” sounding name, I imagine things would have gone a lot differently and possibly very badly for whoever.

I don’t accept “I forgot I had it” from anyone in regard to carrying weapons and even less so as a repeat offense.

Rights entail responsibility. A no longer popular idea at many levels of society alas.

1 Like

I was once nearly kept off of a flight because there was a DINNER FORK in the pocket of a folio-type piece of hand luggage I was carrying onto a flight. I had no idea it was there. I kid you not, I was sweating bullets they were going to detain me. It was mere months after the 9/11 attacks, but still…

3 Likes

I once missed a flight because they found some Allen wrenches in my bag. They told me that all tools are prohibited, even the non-sharp ones. Maybe safety-critical airplane components are assembled the same way as IKEA furniture?

5 Likes

♫ ♩ ♪ ♬ I’m leeeeavin’ on a flat-pack plane
Don’t know if I’ll be back again… ♫ ♩ ♪ ♬

11 Likes

tragically, the republican death cult have been remarkably influential in the erasure of the concept of responsibility. 40 years of erasure, at least.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I once was a Republican but left when they started going nuts on religion and now they actually scare me.

I became a middle of the road liberal without changing any of my views just from their shift way the heck over to fascist land and Cukooville.

I had this happen as well. I had to toss a socket set my dad had given me as a gift (I couldn’t afford to miss this flight and there was no time for any other options :cry:). It never occurred to me that tools were not allowed and I had never heard of this before in 25 years of frequent flying. However the TSA treated me like I was the world’s biggest moron for not knowing this.

They also blocked me for having telescoping hiking poles, because there was a blunt spherical metal end on them. Luckily that time I had enough time to go back through security and check them.

The rules make no sense and are enforced nonsensically.

12 Likes

I used to travel with SMA torque wrenches that absolutely had to be spot-on, calibration wise. Like if we dropped them or they were exposed to any adverse force, we pulled them from service and sent them out for testing/re-certification. So obviously hand-carrying was the only option.

We tried everything we could think of to improve our odds, including cases with huge warning stickers “HANDLE WITH CARE, CALIBRATED INSTRUMENT” and copies of the last test report. It still ended up being a coin toss. Our SOP was to bring duplicates split between two engineers who went through different check points, just to increase odds of success.

7 Likes
5 Likes

That’s for sure. I once had nail clippers taken away, allegedly because they had the little fold-out nail file thingie, and the next week flew with 11" aluminum knitting needles, no problem.

8 Likes

I’ve carried a 4” very pointy, very metal nail file in my purse on hundreds of flights. For the first few years, I simply forgot it was in there every time I flew. Then I realized it was probably a violation, but left it in there for sport to see if they’d flag it. They never did. I think I finally lost the thing, but the TSA never blinked at it. No idea why.

5 Likes

The rules in Canada now allow scissors, and even knives, with blades 6cm (about 2 3/8’) or less, except on flights to the US.

Pre-COVID, we travelled to southeast Asia with no checked luggage, and I checked with Cathay Pacific to make sure they had the same rules. I had a small pair of Tullen shears that I was willing to risk, and my wife had a tiny pair of dollar-store folding scissors with blades less than 2.5cm.

At Pearson airport in Toronto for the flight to Hong Kong, the security guy looked at the shears, checked the length, said “Cool”, and passed them back to me. (The ID tags they wear on a lanyard have a scale on the edge, presumably for just that reason.)

There were no problems on the Hong Kong-Hanoi flight, an internal flight in Viet Nam, or the flight from Cambodia back to Hong Kong, and I was feeling pretty confident. At the check in for the Hong Kong-Toronto leg, the security guy’s eyes lit up at the shears. “Finally”, said the little thought balloon over his head, “after all these years, a real terrorist!”

“No no no, you can’t take these!” I started to say something about Cathay Pacific’s rules, but it clearly would not have been prudent to push the issue. Meanwhile security guy #2 had found and confiscated my wife’s little folding scissors, and was looking at her nail clippers. When he found that they didn’t have the fold-out nail file, which would classify them as a katana or something, he let her keep them.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Checked luggage only.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.