Magical levitating gun or bad Photoshop?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/10/magical-levitating-gun-or-bad.html

Um, it really looks like it’s in a holster.

34 Likes

Yes, you can see the edge of the holster across where the trigger is supposed to be.

15 Likes

Yeah, neither sawed-off, nor unholstered.

That’s a believable rig, but probably a staged shot.

14 Likes

There’s pretty clearly a holster there covering a good portion of the gun.

11 Likes

o_0 It is a snub nosed S&W revolver in a plastic clip on holster.

The holster covers up the trigger to prevent snags, and covers the whole barrel. Of course people wouldn’t WEAR it like that, but it’s obviously some file photo.

17 Likes

Yeah, I’m no gun expert but that looks like a compact form-fitting plastic holster clipped to the waistband.

16 Likes

neither… its just a regular gun, in a regular holster, with zero photoshop (maybe some brightness or saturation adjustments)

Also… sawed off handgun?! lol its a snub nose revolver… and there is no minimum barrel length laws for hand guns… only rifles/shotguns.

9 Likes

Okay, it took me a while. The image actually has nothing to do with the story, except that it was used to illustrate the idea of a gun. That’s not the student who was arrested, nor is it his gun. It’s probably a stock image.

Don’t call me slow. I prefer to think of myself as leisurely.

12 Likes

Yeah… nothing wrong with the pistol or its holster. That’s a thermoformed, clip on holster, and the pistol has a short barrel. Probably a lousy stock photo someone originally used for an open-carry story. Not a likely method for a kid to bring a gun to school. If it was, these things would be easier to stop/prevent.

3 Likes

You got it. Probably not Kydex, but a molded plastic shell. Cheap and practical.

Honestly the bad guys in moves should get more of these so they don’t hurt themselves.

2 Likes

Looks like this w/o the gun and mom jeans

11 Likes

You guys should probably just pull this post down.

9 Likes

Paddle holster, folks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=paddle+holster&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQ_aWthYbSAhUZHGMKHX69BhcQ_AUICSgC&biw=1871&bih=1010

paddle goes inside the pants. Part that holds the gun is outside the pants. In this case (as with many paddle holsters), the part holding the gun is molded plastic for exactly this pistol so that it isn’t any bigger than it has to be.

1 Like

The pic’s not even attached to the original story (not now, anyway).

1 Like

Yeah…this is the kind of FAKE news that gets under people’s skin…Really…10 seconds of looking at that pic and I knew there was a holster…take this crap down…it has no validity at all!

3 Likes

Well, at least I learned a few things about holsters and snubnosed revolvers today.

2 Likes

I agree. Let’s keep at least Boing Boing free-ish of cool-let’s-not-spend-a-second-researching posts.

1 Like

Apparently so… you created a new user account just for this?

3 Likes

hey just be thankful Cory didn’t post the exact same link 2 posts later

7 Likes