Magical levitating gun or bad Photoshop?

I am convinced and have updated my post. Thank you!

15 Likes

I think the fake news about nonexistent terrorist attacks reported by the US government gets under people’s skin a bit more than a nonsense, one-sentence article on BB. But I’m not American, so I can’t even begin to fathom that mentality.

5 Likes

Its likely to be a stock photo. Local affiliate news is _not _ custom shooping or holding photo shoots for graphics that’ll be on screen for 30 seconds. Reasonably sure an identical image gets used on my local news station all the time.

Somebody apparently failed to look closely at the image. But also made some stupid assumptions about the photos used in broadcast news graphics.

2 Likes

Welcome to Boing Boing!

The difference between FAKE news site and Boing Boing is that we’re more than happy to post corrections when we get it wrong.

11 Likes

The actual linked article mentions that the firearm in question was confiscated along with a magazine. Well, that rules our a revolver entirely. Or did someone mistake a clip for a magazine?

1 Like

“I’m now convinced that this is a snubnosed revolver in a plastic belt clip holster.” No kidding. About like showing a picture of a “smart car” and calling it a sawed off sedan.

How nice that you are “convinced” of basic facts plainly evident to anyone who knows much of anything about handguns or who even watches cop shows even a little as detectives and plain clothes cops have carried weapons like this for more than a century.

You went for the "Ooooo! Scary stuff! " effect. Get facts before you opine. Basic journalism skill or supposed to be. Leave this sort of nonsense exaggeration and “alternate facts” to Trump please.

Not to mention, as others have, this is obviously a stock photo and not the little perp. “Excuse me son, would you mind posing with your illegal to possess by a minor handgun still on your hip where you can reach it while we take a nicely framed and illuminated shot with no shadows as you always find when someone is arrested photo?”

3 Likes
8 Likes

Do not come to BoingBoing for unbiased journalism. They’re pretty upfront about their biases. Anti-gun is one of them.

3 Likes

It’s so American that the “Ooooo! Scary stuff!” is commentary about poor graphic design caused by mistaking a form-fitting holster, and not the fact that middle-schoolers are arriving with guns.

1 Like

“Sawed off”? You actually thought it might be that someone had chopped a gun down to nothing but the handle and the rearmost part of the frame? Good god, man. A few seconds of thought and you should have seen that was about as likely as making a car a “convertible” by cutting away everything but one of the frame rails and the driver’s seat.

1 Like

That’s a lot more likely.

2 Likes

Does it fire magic bullets?

Dude, There is an XKCD for this. Don’t be a Richard.

You also, don’t be a bore.

8 Likes

An idea that only goes back to the Model T… at least.

It is far more fun to explain open cars to people than it is to act superior just because I know this and have driven one of these bad boys. Scariest. Car. Ever. fyi

3 Likes

They don’t even realize they reflexively change the subject (focus on the bark of a tree, instead of the forest) and behave superior, suddenly, in moments when certain issues come up.

One of you furriners should name this anthropological malady, it’s a uniquely American ego defense, as I see it.

Hell, you can break your arm just crank-starting those.

1 Like

This set me on a train of thought that almost always begins at “could I build that myself?” station.

3 Likes

Aw man, grades 4-8? But I wanna do that!

1 Like
2 Likes

Way older than that. All the original old cars were open.

1770 steam powered (it was something like this responsible for the “car” death.)

1895 Peugot

1 Like