Major airlines won't fly kidnapped children anymore, but Trump is still welcome in the UK

21 Likes

No way she actually said that; it’s gotta be satire.

8 Likes

Yay! Finally something we can blame Britain for, instead of just them blaming us all the time!

Got anything we can blame Australia for?

because I think in many cases they are making a decision around what constitutes “amiable” vs “hostile” at a different level. It’s not as cut and dry as saying “I don’t agree with my brother’s politics, so he isn’t invited over for Christmas dinner.” all that does affect the relationship between you and your sibling.

Dis-inviting a world leader from visiting your nation can lead to open hostility. He is already beginning a trade war with most of the world, and the leaders of our ally nations are no doubt trying to curb the damage from his inane and childish behavior to begin with. Allowing him to visit is not the same thing as courting him with favor.

It matters.

No, but you get to blame Theresa May and the Tories, along with the majority of Britons.

1 Like

Yeah, so the policy will be to detain children with their parents indefinitely. Only, that’s illegal, you can’t detain minors for more than 20 days. So a court will almost certainly invalidate this executive order. Then we will be back to square one with Trump saying he tried, but can’t, change the laws!!1!

3 Likes

Correct: The Daily Mash is the UK onion.

5 Likes

Not much gets by you, does it? :wink:

3 Likes

I’m watching the video now. At 47 seconds in, when he starts talking about how “we” have dealt with NK, Iran, the economy, etc., he goes from having his hands comfortably resting in front of him to pulling his arms tightly around himself. He doesn’t relax again until he asks Nosferatu… ahem…Pence to chime in.

Trump: “This has been going on for 60 years. 60 years! Nobody’s taken care of it. Nobody has had the political courage to take care of it. But we’re going to take care of it.”

Yeah. It’s not the fault of you or yours. You weren’t making it worse. You didn’t start the fire. It’s always been burning since the world’s been turning. Wink wink.

3 Likes

You really think Theresa May cares about immigrant children? Oh Cory…

2 Likes

Still, it’s a pleasant fantasy, nevertheless.

14 Likes

But with more swears.

1 Like

The Daily Mash is satire, but the legality of Brenda killing someone is murky. It all depends on whether Regina refers to her or the crown as an institution.

It doesn’t matter, because she wouldn’t do it even if she wants to.

2 Likes

There’s obvious precedent for trying a British monarch. They made a point of doing it before abolishing the monarchy, too.

1 Like

The upside is, at least for us Germans, that we have a counter now whenever a stupid american tries to shittalk us for the Nazis. Even thou stupid americans are pretty likely in favour of the Orange Bastard and his fascist crew… Bummer.

2 Likes

Maybe they are hoping Trump will bring Don Jr. with him and they are planning to give the Trumps a taste of their own medicine by seperating the two. I don’t think Don Jr. would last more than an hour or two before he melts down into a puddle of cologne, hair gel, and shoe lifts.

3 Likes

I suspect that if Charles II was being tried for murdering Donald Trump even Oliver Cromwell would have been tempted to find him not guilty.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m misreading your comment, but…

… you seem to be making your fair share of offensive generalizations. At least I’m feeling a bit offended, for what that’s worth.

3 Likes

Doesn’t mean he’ll be welcome, though. The driving trollies will probably be epic.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/trump-baby

And things could be sticky if Trump isn’t liked by local politicians, like say the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan (oops), as a former Secret Service officer explains:

Trump being Trump, I’m not sure that logic works in his case. He basically already views all US allies as enemies unless he has business in their country (and, in some cases, even then). Any leader that doesn’t just roll over to all his unreasonable (and non-reality-based) demands is also going to be under personal attack. Leaders of democracies have, I think, figured out at this point that since they’re not corrupt authoritarians, they don’t have the ability to bribe Trump into being reasonable, so there’s not much they can do to positively influence him. So there’s not anything to be gained by actually meeting him - if there was a functioning State Department, they’d work at that level, but mostly I think just trying to prevent anything from changing is their best bet, and that involves staying off his radar more than anything. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do see the US get left out, even from international meetings, as the rest of the world tries to figure out how to route around Trump in particular and the US in general.

11 Likes

Well, you do realize that Trump got fewer votes than Clinton, right? And he’s still under 50% in the polls. And people he’s endorsed for Congress have often lost. So it’s not like a majority of Americans like him.

1 Like