Maker builds the man cave of his 12-year-old dreams

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/maker-builds-the-man-cave-of-his-12-year-old-dreams.html

3 Likes

This is better than I expected, mostly because he committed to the project like an adult instead of like a 12-year-old boy. That’s how you get a balanced and atmospheric and immersive experience like this instead of a warren of display shelves for various collections.

10 Likes

He also installed a TARDIS door for good measure:

Oh, to the theater?
Wait, it’s his FRONT door?? He really is a huge nerd, color me impressed.

10 Likes

The door to enter the cave… is it pneumatic? I thought I heard air hissing near it. The doors move to slowly. They need snappier action, and maybe this original sound:

2 Likes

Aww man, I still love the look of the vintage LCARS interface and it looks great here. Looks like he’s gone with the sovereign class schematic, I would have chosen galaxy class myself!

4 Likes

If it can’t be a treehouse, it’s not happening. Then inside it would be Tom Swift jr’s lab, complete with circular slide rule. The kitchen area would be stocked with all those things that were rare as a kid, except their potency is list since I can have them whenever I want.

All those things you wanted as a kid, not just because you couldn’t afford them, but because some of it was fictional.

Me: What a nerdish case of arrested development!
Also Me: I want it. I waaaaaaaant it all!

I especially like how there were no half-measures and everything got included - the voice-activated secret door and the motion-triggered(?) sci-fi sliding door with a little airlock in between. And a completely different TARDIS door. * Chef’s kiss *

3 Likes

And the electric bill. I do love the aesthetic though.

3 Likes

He’s also got a gallery of photos taken during the creation of the room:

Which happens to include the answers to some of the questions I had when I saw the video:

• Doors all have manual override, so a power cut isn’t going to trap you inside.
  • All the lighting effects are LED-driven and dimmable, so they’re not a massive power draw, and won’t interfere with the picture.
3 Likes

Nice try but it is missing a rocket tube, underground submarine dock, and roller coaster.

1 Like

4 Likes

Nice to see the Star Wars cameo in the room, BB-8 making his introduction to the Trek universe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.