Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

@wrecksdart you made me realize I hadn’t posted an update.

The trackpad was catching too much interference, presumably from all the tape and probably the keyboard overlap over the top, too. It wasn’t tracking my fingers reliably or accurately. I tried separating the trackpad to an overbuilt foam wedge within a metal crayon tin for click stability. it was nice, but made for two things to remove from my lap to get up, and two things to replace. Plus, as with the original design, the clicks weren’t always clicking positively thru the feet.

I had to resign myself to using the trackpad as it was designed, fully resting on a flat surface. On a trip to Ross I scanned all the trays, bake pans, and cookie sheets and found a thin, lightweight bamboo cutting-board (2-pack for $5!). I sorted thru my junk pile and found the Garcia Y Vega cigar tube.

after I trimmed it, drilled it, and countersunk it, I got this:

I had plans to do a cigar tube for the trackpad, too, but the rubber feet really grip the bamboo even at severe angles. I still may (originally I thought I would hang the whole thing from a hook through the hole, but I can use the board to push away debris on my end-table so it wasn’t as necessary as I thought.)

I really just wish Apple made a bluetooth keyboard with the same trackpad and button that’s on my laptop and in the same place already built-in. Maybe they make one but it wasn’t for sale from the retailer I went to (I got re-furbs for the nice price.) I don’t need this whole big-assed trackpad.

7 Likes