Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

No, it’s sewn from the same fake leather we harvested from an abandoned sidewalk sofa when we made the bellows for the forge.

E.T.A: it’s hard to see in the photos but he engraved the blade guard with “ELF BERT,” a reference to the famed Viking ULFBERHT swords that he learned about in a Nova episode.

18 Likes

Now I’m wondering if all that post-apocalyptic leather fashion in the Mad Max franchise was just made out of old love seats and recliners.

25 Likes

This is a really fun game to play!

3 Likes

Sprucing up the neighborhood with some chalk art. I think we convinced a few neighbors we were committing vandalism since spray chalk looks so much like spray paint.

26 Likes

I did not know that was a thing!

Very nice!

12 Likes

Neither did some of our neighbors judging by the stink-eyes we were getting while we were putting it up.

15 Likes

Meh, what are they going to do, yell at you from 6 feet away? :grin:

Either way, good work!

13 Likes

Apparently someone in the neighborhood wasn’t a fan, hosed off already. Everybody’s an art critic.

13 Likes

Virus Life plans:

5 Likes

You can come spray my house if you like

8 Likes

What kinda Vespa you got? I was thinking this might be a good time to do some body work on my VBB that I’ve been putting off.

3 Likes

My latest project.
I went down some hugelkultur rabbit holes when I was researching raised beds originally. (My current raised bed has tons of branches and vegetable matter under it.) I wanted an herb spiral when I first saw one, and making it is keeping me connected with the reality of the earth, which doesn’t care much about what we do and has its own schedules and surprises.

The Herb Spiral

24 Likes

It’s a 1977 TS 125

Currently residing in the garage

13 Likes

Nice. Looks like it has a newer roommate?

4 Likes

That’s a 2005 Honda Metropolitan.

I bought it last fall for $300. It runs but still needs some work

8 Likes

My commuter:

2000 Malaguti Yesterday, 50cc, heavily modded as you can see

14 Likes

Never too early to start Mad-Maxxing out our vehicles in preparation for life in a post-apocalyptic society.

10 Likes

Clock oiled:
IMG_20200327_150140

18 Likes

I just love this hunk of brass

20 Likes

After doing a couple successful casts using pewter we thought we’d try getting a little more advanced by using copper and/or bronze. The challenge is that we don’t have a proper crucible for melting the copper. Here’s our attempt to melt it in a small cheap cast iron pan:

It looked like it might actually work, but moments later…

I was hopeful that I could control the temperature to be somewhere between the melting point of copper and iron, but that’s only a few hundred degrees difference so it was probably futile.

We really just need a good ceramic crucible but it will probably take at least a week to receive one from an online order. I guess we’ll have to find other projects to keep us busy until then.

26 Likes