Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Enjoy them while they’re small. They grow up so fast…

10 Likes

Rainy day here. Working on making a puppet that my youngling requested. Fortunately we had appropriate fabric in our rag pile.

17 Likes

Gardening is a great teacher of resiliency! Ours was a bit of a toss up this summer, some things did surprisingly well. Others gave me occasional reasons to cry of a morning (our cauliflower decimated by something overnight, the eggplants suddenly stripped bare of leaves, the squash plants thriving then shriveling due to these gross vine borers, and so on).
This was the first year I continued buying new seedlings and filling in bare spots. Some of those failed, too, but it was a great overall learning experience.
Biggest takeaway: basil is almost bomb-proof. Yay, basil!
Yummy looking parsley, though! Bring on the chimmichurri!

8 Likes

Making some Swedish torches (German: Schwedenfeuer) for winter gatherings.

12 Likes

I’m sewing napkins for our house. Double-sided with stitches across to keep them from puffing. I decided mitered corners were too much trouble. The kid wanted the unicorns and I chose the cats.

20 Likes

I just came across this info whilst looking for a quick fix to a broken tailgate latch. We are supposed to leave in 52 minutes to go pick up an oven; wish me luck achieving that paricular miracle in time to avoid finding out whether a Mazda wagon can dislocate its rear mandible to that extent.

With the latch out, we used some Slip Plate Black Ice graphite penetrating oil to lubricate the latch. The penetrating oil helps pull the graphite into the inner workings of the latch so that when the oil eventually dries up, the latch will have a protective coating of graphite for smooth operation.

7 Likes

This episode of The Lube Discussions is prefectly timed, we just got our storage/shipping container for our house build and it has definitely seen some rough seas.

We didn’t get pics of the container in situ, as the delivery was very late. but here’s the 2-ton gravel pad I made for it with a shovel…

10 Likes

Congratulations on starting one of the biggest big projects–building your house–ever!

(Building a business and keeping it running, maybe even successfully, is another massive project, no matter what country you live in.)

Is your house going to be conventionally built [wrt the area you live in] or are you going for something a bit more alternative?

Or maybe really really traditional? If you have a lot of extra stone nearby…

7 Likes

I loved that Rammed Earth article from FHB. We started listening to the FHB podcast when we started dreaming up our house a couple years back and subscribe to the mag. Those castle projects make great Youtube, but for our edification, we followed the ICF castle project a bit:

We’re doing a double-stud with blown cellulose and an ICF basement. Pretty boring rectangle but with nice big southern windows. Our most direct inspiration is the Rochester Passive House project, though we’re shooting more for Pretty Good House than Passive.

6 Likes

This could be me one day:

8 Likes
3 Likes

New bowl:

Blackwood.

24 Likes

I was trying to make a video with my phone that I needed to be in, so I needed something to hold it. I bought a cheap dashboard-mount holder a while back but put off trying to convert it until today.
the mount is designed to hold the screen up at your face, but very limited in pointing the lens perpendicular to the ground without the mount itself being in the shot. I considered destroying the mount arm and creating a tripod mount somehow and attaching it to the bit of arm conneted to the phone clamp but that was more involved than I was prepared to do just to get a short video together.
first idea:

second, better solution:

I wish I had thicker sheet metal but reinforced with plywood and wire works fine.
and then the video didn’t even come out usable for other reasons but it was a fun project.

14 Likes

Not me, but my godmother just finished a big project (with a lot of help from friends).

10 Likes

Finally got around to turning this March’s light shade into a light.
Hid the wires as well, but after the photo… :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

OK @Wanderfound, you’ll like this. It’s my father-in-law’s work, out of 10,000 year old wood, kauri that came out of a swamp. He’s kept himself very busy during retirement making some amazing stuff. This isn’t his most technical, but it is a favourite of mine.
Manawa Vase

21 Likes

Making progress, now it’s time to get started on the outfits. We might make her a nice little dress or two. (And for the record my daughter and I do not accept the gender or name for this creature that was implied in the latest episode of the Baby Yoda show.)

15 Likes

tl/dr but if ‘creating’ includes writing then I’ll admit to producing more smut literature.

10 Likes

I made a laser sight for my spud gun today. Then I got shocked.

14 Likes

Today we made her a little dress, blanket, pillow and hover pram. The pram was made from a couple cheap bowls from the dollar store, and maybe isn’t quite as big as we’d like, but she still fits.

22 Likes