Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Got another shade that I blew last winter turned into a light. This was a bit of an experiment (well learning exercise, but that’s always true for me :roll_eyes:) ; I’d not used the “colour bar as a core” approach before, nor this particular purple. The bubbles come from a “pineapple mold”, where the inside is like a pineapple. Once you get the impressions you take another gather of glass to trap air bubbles.

This time I used a long-tubed LED with a spiral filament. I really like the lighting options that the new ersatz-filament LED’s are providing.

I also tried using neodymium magnets, one set embedded in the shade, after cutting pits with a diamond bit, with epoxy glue and one set in the base. I need to use larger, perhaps 1/4" magnets next time.

18 Likes

New Covid project! We installed these brushed aluminum pulls when we redid our kitchen years ago. They look nice but have square corners that are always catching (sometimes tearing) loose clothing, poking knees, and generally causing pain.

So, I’m grinding the corners down with my bench grinder:

Grinding takes off the finish, so I’m stripping the rest with a wire wheel:

Then wet sanding with 600 and 1200 grit, cleaning with acetone, and 2 coats of clear spray finish

Much better!

Not perfect, but they’ll do for now

18 Likes

Your user name is starting to make more sense now. /s

16 Likes

We’ve been back on the Sculpey. I pretty much exclusively work on aluminum foil armatures now and this project represents one of my more ambitious. The sword and sword arm in particular have a single-piece core built from a pounded flat aluminum blade and “bone”. She leaned over in the oven despite having an aluminum core base connect to leg stalks, so I ended up levelling her base with some foamy clay post-bake.

22 Likes

That is wonderful!

4 Likes

Made candy canes with the kids yesterday. If cooking candy doesn’t count as “making, crafting, etc.” then the hand-forged candy stretching hook that I mounted to the wall probably does.

27 Likes

Are they traditional peppermint?

4 Likes

Peppermint with a touch of unintentional molasses flavor, yes. (A result of us using unrefined sugar because that’s what we had in the house)

Edit to add: for anyone who wants to know how to do it I mostly went off the process seen in this video:

15 Likes

Cool!
This is totally crafting.
Do you know about the Happy Mutants Food topic? Also a good fit there.

7 Likes

Sweet!
I mean cool. Please post to the Happy Mutant food topic any foodie fun builds.

6 Likes

We are redoing a bathroom that a previous housemate… fouled. As we were removing a toilet that had gone all trainspotty, I had an epiphany. A few moments of excited discussion later, and we are now working towards having a dedicated laboratory. (We may not be running an “actual” farm, but we still need to be able to do floats and cultures and suchlike.) I am unreasonably excited, and yes, I have a small Van de Graff generator.

14 Likes

Swedish torch in action:

22 Likes

Cubmaster & Commander

22 Likes

If you’re lucky, then the log fallen nearby is slightly hollowed out white pine. Less work… also burns in the rain with a bit of an angle. I’m not sure if it’s better to carry a 1" auger and bit brace or a saw heavy enough to cut the log like a Swedish torch, assuming in this case that motorized equipment is verboten.

11 Likes

For sure, I did not use ideal logs. These were hardwood (probably oak) and difficult to cut and drill. Hard to light, as well. There just aren’t many pine logs available in my area.

I did learn that the “pie” cuts are easier if you lay the log on its side and cut “down” from bark through the center, so you’re cutting parallel to the grain.

13 Likes

One member of our family was having difficulty keeping his gingerbread house together but we found a very 2020 fix:

29 Likes

A little something for all you motorcycle delivery swamp frog fans out there.

18 Likes

Hand-forged cheese knife with cutting board made from a section of the neighbor’s fallen oak tree.

24 Likes

Making gifts with the kid a few weeks ago. Wooden snowflakes, washable paint, then a few layers of gloss with glitter. Most are ornaments going in cards. I turned some into fridge decor.

15 Likes

One of our horses very suddenly developed a taste for tree bark. This is not an ideal situation for the tree.

Yesterday I added two new sections of fencing to cordon off vulnerable trees. As soon as I finish breakfast, I’ll put on a few more layers and go get my Westinghouse on. I love our horses, but don’t fuck with a treehugger.

13 Likes