Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

This one certainly is, though I didn’t know they had a rep. Tough tree though. It survived complete leaf drop during the frozen-geddon last year and a few years of neglect while living with my MIL because we had no spot for it. We’ve never gotten very many lemons out of it, but it’s been with us for damned near a decade now and the blooms are divine. When you’ve named a plant, you gotta keep it. Like cats.

5 Likes

Lee Valley sells this thingamajig.

9 Likes

So after I moved on from my Cubmaster position last year when my son graduated from Cub Scouts his old troop created a new division in the annual Pinewood Derby race called the “Cubmaster’s Cup” just to see if they could get me and the other former Cubmasters to come back and make a demo car every year. It was a dirty trick but I had fun doing it anyway.

I call it the “Anti-Lope.” Because it goes fast instead of loping, and I was too tired to come up with any good puns today.

20 Likes

After diving into Python web frameworks, I dusted off my websocket retro game, trying to give the feel of a game we used to play in the early 80s on video terminals at 300 baud.

Movement, sounds and firing all working. (I do have to enforce one tank per user.) Status to be replaced with some health graphs. A live chat for people who don’t mind getting hit while typing.

For the outside wrapper, I wanted a message board. A simple one, I said. … Ha!

I’m still adding the functions, then I’ll go back and pretty it up. (It needs a dark theme!)

It’s in Python Flask on a Raspberry Pi3. At some point I’ll load test with a swarm of robotanks, but I don’t foresee any problems with a lot of players. I’m hoping to call it an alpha soon, open it to the net and do some playtesting, then throw it up on Github.

10 Likes

There is a HUGE youtube community of restorers where i suspect you could find tips and hints. I get lost in furniture restoring videos pretty frequently, but farm equipment is also a very large topic of interest.

7 Likes

I have one of those, called a pot lifter. Makes moving big, heavy stuff much easier, but definitely a 2-person operation.

7 Likes

It’s often not the weight, but the fact that the human spine isn’t designed for unbalanced loads. My wife and I have moved some heavy sections of log by putting them on a tarp and lifting the corners. Pots, of course, have to be kept upright.

6 Likes

I think there’s a western documentary film out there with some tips on wagon care.

5 Likes

First day of March. Despite almost two months straight below freezing it looks like all the kale and kohlrabi survived. You can see the metal support hoops have been bent by the weight of snow, which actually made a good insulator during the worst of the freeze.

13 Likes

The missus lives to sew but doesn’t have a good dedicated space to do so, so I built her a sewing room in the basement.

Before:

During:

After:

I still need to install the shelves and build the sewing table

27 Likes

Ah! Great job! What a lovely space you made for your wife! Great colors, too. I love the purple and blue section of the wall…

Also, is that laminate flooring? I think we have the same in our basement. It’s pretty nice.

Also… Is fear céile maith thú!

11 Likes

Its a linoleum flooring. The missus didnt want to lose dropped pins in any gaps and find them later with her feet!

The cutting table (not sewing table, oops) will be 4 feet x 5 feet and on casters, with IKEA cube shelves underneath for storage. If she needs a larger area she can trundle the table out of the way and use the floor for cutting.

She is verrry happy so far!

12 Likes

Thought so! That floor will do the job with regards to being able to find small things (part of our downstairs houses my better half’s electronics lab…).

Definitely post more pics when it’s all done.

It’s always a good idea to make the spouse happy!

Also…

Adrian Williams Thank You GIF by Peloton

8 Likes

Pin-finder

6 Likes

I typically use my big toe as a pin-finder.

8 Likes

Pretty plants all in a row:

Repotted the citrus today. I will have to get one of those pot lifter rigs from Lee Valley because there is no way these babies are moving otherwise.

Didn’t get the half barrels like @Kii because Tractor Supply was the only place with the oak ones in stock last weekend, and the sales person was super nasty when I asked for help locating and loading them. So I went up the street to Lowe’s and bought these shiny, kinda tacky plastic ones because options were few in the big pot sizes. Of course, they got a bunch of new stock in this week, but oh well…

15 Likes

Maybe try:

or similar?

11 Likes

I like that teal. They may not be what you wanted, but they look pretty good in the pic

9 Likes

I’ve had my 3 shots. I’ll come to AL and move them for you when you’re ready. :+1:

7 Likes

Our daughter has a rescue bunny that’s old and not getting around very well, she asked if I could make a box that bunny can rummage around in because she likes to hide things.

This is what I made her, but, can’t use glue or my nail gun because she chews everything. A lot of pocket screws on the underside and back where she doesn’t chew.

And the lumber prices. This thing cost 45 bucks for the wood.

16 Likes