Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Cute box! I love the decoration
We tried to buy an oak board today for something. 1"x3"x6. It was $48. We were like yeah, we’ll see if we have anything at the house that might work instead. Sheesh

8 Likes

“I built a dedicated space in the basement for my spouse” should probably not be quoted out of context.

Nice work! If all else should fail you can always make good money as a contractor. Good call on the linoleum. Bonus points for not forgetting to put in the wiring for the wall sockets and switches in time.

10 Likes

200w

2 Likes

The missus was gifted this sewing machine. Our research indicates its from 1917, its treadle powered, and it still works! It came with spare parts in their original case from July 1891!

Of course you’d never know it was treadle powered because a previous owner hid all the lovely ironwork in ugly fiberboard panelling!

So, once i get the sewing room arranged I’ll be restoring this beauty.

21 Likes

I dismantled the non-original components, exposing the original ironwork.

Unfortunately it seems a prior owner had used an angle grinder to cut off part of the feet on the front, and one subsequently broke.

The rear feet are intact, so i thought to myself “I’ll just make a copy of the rear feet, and sand cast replacements for the front feet out of aluminum”. Problem is, I’ve never done that before, and how do you attach cast aluminum to cast iron? Bondo?

20 Likes

drill two holes and use pins?

8 Likes

uh, I guess make not just the part that’s missing but add several more inches of the arc past where it’s broken and then hose clamp at the break and then at the far end? may have to grind off the overhang on the break.

it’ll be kinda ugly, but you can cover the hose clamps with black paper or tape or something, and it’ll be strong at least.

if you can sand cast iron you can weld it but that’s probably obvious…

4 Likes

I’m hoping I can repair this to be a couple of steps above hoseclamp chic!

I think this repair might involve getting actual professionals to do it so that its right. Besides, I dont have time to learn a new hobby.

6 Likes

I’d be tempted to fabricate the replacement out of mild steel and braze the pieces together.

3 Likes

Depends what your trying to accomplish.

Look good from across the room or fool Antiques Road Show?

From across the room you could make it out of wood and bar steel and then paint it black. No welding involved. Maybe drill a hole in the frame.

I wonder if this might be a job for a 3D printer.

7 Likes

I don´t know if it is the right place, but what would you do with two old android tablets? One is very, very slow and the other is ok, but they are running old versions of Android.

3 Likes

I thought of printing up a replacement. I still may. I guess the two needs are to look good from closeby, yet be functional.

5 Likes

You want to keep using them?

In the past I would do a factory restore and then update to whatever the latest version of Android they will accept. Then try them out and see if they’re usable.

4 Likes

Thank you.

Yes.

I had this ebook reader. It wasn’t a fancy one, but worked well until the screen somehow broke.

I’ve got these two old tablets that were getting dust with some friends. They gave me the gadgets, but I cannot use as the Android version is very old and new apps can’t be installed.

I want to read my books on my daily commute, but using the phone is a little annoying, as the screen is small for my tired eyes.

Sometimes I feel It is a Shame discarding old stuff that could be used again.

4 Likes

If you’re a little tech savvy check this out. If it’s available for your tablets it may bring them back to life.

I’ve never tried it but it might be fun to play with.

7 Likes

Thank you again.

I will read It carefully. If I feel I can’t do the task, I will ask my smart nephew.

4 Likes

It’s not sexy, but I installed a bidet today. Would’ve been easier if every water valve in my house didn’t need to be replaced.

13 Likes

I have - in fact until the device I’m typing on stopped being supported, I was using it on
this one. I liked it. It was certainly a lot more pleasant than the manufacturer’s stock Android version.

I found Lineage relatively easy to install.

Other custom ROMs may be available for your devices.

Install instructions usually (rightly) come with bloodcurdling warnings about potentially bricking your device and of course voiding warranties, etc.

I found repeatedly reminding myself that it was this or throw them away very helpful.

6 Likes

Mostly moved in now and in use!

This is the mega cutting table. Its 48" x 62", with a melamine top, two IKEA cube shelves, on a carpetted base that is on casters so it can roll around. I just need to apply edging to the worktop and this will be done.

23 Likes

Muito obrigado! Thank you!

It worked fine. Now it is time to play with the second life of the old tablet!

Baby Reaction GIF

10 Likes