Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Candy bags for the upcoming holiday. You can’t see it but the bag is filled with chocolate gold coins and other gold wrapped candy.

More avoid seeing anyone gifts that get left on porches but with the price of gas it’s an expensive delivery day.

9 Likes

And here is bunny in that box I made in that post above.

15 Likes

Recently installed father & son pegboard systems. I leave it to the viewer to guess which is which.

22 Likes

You inspired me. I installed Lineage on an old Galaxy Tab 3 that went well but the Open Gapps are not going well.

Did you have any problems installing Gapps?

No matter which version I try I get wrong architecture error.

5 Likes

Yes.

When I tried to install It, the program said I was out of space. When I found a way to run GAPPS, the tablet tried to boot in an infinite loop. Tô make the things worse, I broke the Power button. Fortunatelly a crafty friend came in my rescue.

Now the tablet is running smooth, but as It is a 10 years old Nexus 7, I can’t expect a Premium experiênce.

I found a nice thread in Reddit full of advices. But in the end, I still cannot use GAPPS.

4 Likes

I just figured out I need the x86 version of Gapps. Who knew Android tablets used x86?

Once I got the right architecture I had to download the right size of the apps because of limited space. Once I did that LIneageOS was hosed so I’m starting over and only going to install the absolute bare minimum of Google apps. If that don’t work I’m just going with web based Gmail and YouTube. I really just want a larger tablet next to my easy chair that’s easier to see.

I’m waiting for a reboot now of a fresh install and then I’m installing the bare minimum of Gapps just to get Google Play.

My tablet is also 9 years old. I also have a Kindle Fire that about 6 years old that’s pretty useless so that’s the next to try.

I could just get a shiny new tablet but I’m not like other people, this is fun.

6 Likes

Okay, started from scratch, installed LineageOS, rebooted, made sure everything worked and then installed GApps but this time the pico set. That only installed the Play store.

Once it booted up I just went to the Play store and installed just what I needed. Gmail, Chrome browser, Photos, and YouTube. It all works well and a bit faster than the stock stuff that I replaced.

One thing that screwed me up is Google Play Protect. It runs in the background scanning apps to make sure they are safe. Once I disabled it things ran much better.

So now I have a nice tablet that I can use without always having my phone handy and it’s bigger for my messed up eyes.

Gonna try the Kindle Fire next but that needs a Linux set up to root it. I have an old laptop I can use for that.

Something to do when I get bored this weekend but first I have to make Disney shirts for a family friend taking her daughter for the first time.

6 Likes

Noice. Do you have any pics of the “behind the pegboard” part? I find it kind of tough with big sections like that to set up the back framing in a way that doesn’t cause annoyance later when figuring out peg placement.

7 Likes

For the big pegboard I just mounted furring strips on the wall for the perimeter and between the edges of the shgets with a couple extra vertical strips in the middle for support. Then I applied wood glue to the strips and used a finishing nail gun to mount the boards before adding a frame and a protective coat of polyurethane for good measure. So there are a couple columns of unusable peg holes but the board was big enough that it didn’t matter too much. I tried to hang stuff in such a way that the wide items spanned those unusable gaps.

For the smaller pegboard I just used those little rubber spacers and put the screws straight through the front of the pegboard and into the wall using drywall anchors.

7 Likes

I will try it again soon. I used the pico version, but It only gave me headaches. As my tablet is very old, I am afraid I cannot install the Kindle Reader or any other ebook reader.

The Android universe is such a mess.

You are rigth, besides, it is such a shame wasting electronics because they got old. It’s like things aren’t made to last. I don’t want a brand new device with cutting edge technology, I just want to read my books and sometimes check the sci-fi novels recommended here!

Thanks again for the Lineage advice.

6 Likes

I think the really annoying part is that the electronics do last far longer than the software is kept available for them.

That’s why we’re all looking round for things that will allow us to continue using the perfectly functional devices that are no longer allowed to update apps which they can in fact run, etc.

It would be more honest if manufacturers specced devices to last a year or two with recyclability built-in and priced their devices accordingly.

Instead we get sold amazingly built and specced devices for hefty sums with the manufacturer knowing full well that within five years at most, we’ll be told “Sorry, you can’t upgrade to Android 27.6 Profiterole and by the way, look at this shiny new fondleslab we’d like to sell you.”

8 Likes

Alternative pegboard mounting method

The missus thrifted a picture frame and I installed the pegboard into it

27 Likes

That is an awesome way to store thread!

9 Likes

Ha, and my wife thought I was going overboard just making a simple redwood frame instead of leaving the raw edges of the pegboard out there like some kind of barbarian.

12 Likes

Total pegboard barbarians here!

13 Likes

Fancy! One might say you’ve really upped the thread count of this thread :wink:

12 Likes

Gotten my cnc wood inlays pretty tight.
Cherry/Maple end grain board with Walnut inlay

Sapele/Maple end grain board with Maple Inlay

27 Likes

I didn’t realize there was a forum for posting our projects.
If you like interactive fiction or at least think Infocom was neat (or just think the Pico-8 is cute?) you may enjoy this.

I just published v2.0 of Status Line, a z-machine interpreter for the Pico-8.
It is available as standalone executables (Win, Mac, Linux, RPI) and a Pico-8 cartridge file (source available on GitHub).

Being a “z-machine interpreter” means it plays z3 and (with the update) z4 game files, which includes the Infocom canon like Zork, Hitchhiker’s Guide, etc. The v2.0 update adds Trinity and A Mind Forever Voyaging to the family.

In conjunction with the engine update, I also released v1.0 of Status Line Classics on GitHub.
The Pico-8 has a very small screen, just 32 characters wide by 21 lines of text tall. A lot of z4 games are very difficult to play on such a small screen. I modified original Infocom source code for 4 games so they look and play great on Pico-8’s small screen.

Lastly, this project also (as a strange side-effect) resurrects Douglas Adams’s “Bureaucracy from original source. For many Infocom games, multiple snapshots of the source code are available, including unpublished revisions. Bureaucracy only has one source, and its a little broken, which renders it unsolvable. With the help of the IF community, I have now published the first fully-playable, fully-solvable release of Bureaucracy from existing source. Chalk one up to game preservation.

8 Likes

Fire 7 tablets are on sale right now for 35 bucks.

Fire 8 is 45 bucks, 50% off.

3 Likes

We cleaned out my MIL’s barn this weekend, and in the hay loft I found a HUGE pile of 4/4 walnut and cherry boards, some with live edges. From the family history, those must have been up there 40+ years. Gorgeous lumber. At today’s prices? Holy shit, I hit the jackpot! I will post pics of output once things quiet down a bit, but I am thinking making a set of barrister’s bookcases.

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

21 Likes